User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The fact I have presented does not in anyway undermine the goodness of people in my mind.
    Interesting.

That's wht I meant. And you say you have a deal. But from above, I can gather that you think you have a deal that is somehow amoral.
    No, I don't find this amoral. I find contradictions between what I was taught and what I believed to be true and this, while suddenly rejecting the former. If you say people have "good" and "bad" sides, I think of "selfless" and "self-centered" sides. It seems they only possess one of the above.

MBTI
    INTj

Altruism is irrational. Irrationality is a vice, not a virtue! I think most are confusing kindness with altruism.

To be truly altruistic, you need to always act to further a random person's interests over your own. Consider the implications. If the love of your life and a stranger was drowning and you could only save one, true altruism would dictate that you sacrifice your love one. To do otherwise would mean that you are placing yourself first.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Altruism is irrational. Irrationality is a vice, not a virtue! I think most are confusing kindness with altruism.

To be truly altruistic, you need to always act to further a random person's interests over your own. Consider the implications. If the love of your life and a stranger was drowning and you could only save one, true altruism would dictate that you sacrifice your love one. To do otherwise would mean that you are placing yourself first.
    Well, no. Altruism requires that you give to others. If you can only save one out of two people, and one is a stranger and one is your love, it makes no difference which you save. One choice will benefit your interests more than the other, but both choices will benefit another person's interests the same amount. So, in terms of altruism, there is no bias toward one decision over another.

And altruism, in its tangible form (which, again, is its only real form) is very far from irrational. It is an integral part to maintaining a social strategy and we as a species have evolved innate mechanisms for encouraging altruism in relation to that fact.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Only glanced the article, but it reminds me a bit of this:

Nice Guys Finish First - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTj

Well, no. Altruism requires that you give to others.
    Simple giving is not altruism. A person who gives in order to ingratiate is not altruistic by any definition. Self sacrifice must be involved.

Kindness is rational. Self sacrifice is madness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Simple giving is not altruism. A person who gives in order to ingratiate is not altruistic by any definition. Self sacrifice must be involved.

So if a person who doesn't like kids, but volunteers to help kids because it will look good in front of the camera is not sacrificing anything?

When a horse breaks its leg and has to be put down, is it an act of kindness or an act of self-sacrifice by the owner? Isn't it both?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yes, but the key point is that the other person gets more than you. In the scenario given involving two people drowning, there's still not altruistic bias toward saving the stranger over your lover. You do not get more altruism points for hurting yourself more while still helping the same amount of people.

I've already pointed out that no one chooses to make a complete sacrifice. For some, in some cases, the pleasure of giving is the compensation.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    So if a person who doesn't like kids, but volunteers to help kids because it will look good in front of the camera is not sacrificing anything?
    It's an investment that is made because greater returns are anticipated.

When a horse breaks its leg and has to be put down, is it an act of kindness or an act of self-sacrifice by the owner? Isn't it both?
    It's not necessarily either. It could be done for expediency, economics, compassion or any other reason.

MBTI
    INTj

Yes, but the key point is that the other person gets more than you. In the scenario given involving two people drowning, there's still not altruistic bias toward saving the stranger over your lover. You do not get more altruism points for hurting yourself more while still helping the same amount of people.
    If you save the other, a third person could benefit from it at your expense.

I've already pointed out that no one chooses to make a complete sacrifice. For some, in some cases, the pleasure of giving is the compensation.
    I think most people actually mean "kindness" when they say "altruism".
    Kindness is totally rational. You get paybacks. Your own joy. You build up good will for the future. Social cooperation is enhanced. Etc.

True altruism must involve a net loss to yourself in the big picture. You must act in other's interests at the expense of your own.