User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Purpose of gift-giving

So it's the holiday season and all that, and of course much thinking has been generated from an argument an NF friend and I had.

Their point is that they only appreciate gifts because it symbolizes a bond between the giver and reciever, and they only appreciate the gift, whatever it is, for that sole purpose regardless of what it is or what it may do. A broader example was that they would appreciate a million dollars for forever unless I killed their mother and then they'd use that million dollars to "betray" me, as I had betrayed the bond. (something like that it bothers me and I don't understand it at all, especially given their immense NF-itude at the state of the world BUT ANYWAY NOT THE POINT)

My general view is that, while gifts are appreciated for their value monetarily and what a gift would mean coming from a particular person, I'm geared toward appreciating a gift for it's usefulness to me specifically. I don't need any more meaningless junk. (The million dollars would be appreciated as long as I had a good use for it. If the giver killed my mother I'd still keep and use their gift to its full potential)

It was a thought that children, though deemed selfish or ungrateful, only appreciate the gifts they deem useful or needed/wanted at the time. While many children have not developmentally reached the planning for the future stages of development, the fact still remains that you can tell a good gift by the look on their face and the amount of time they play with it.

So I ask you, Typology central, what do you believe the "purpose" of gift-giving is? To indicate a bond or to show appreciation? To improve efficiency or increase brownie points from the reciever? Or even, to serve as a social obligation nessecary in keeping a good social immage.

I expect this will vary wildly with type, age, role, etc.
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by plaguerat View Post
    My general view is that, while gifts are appreciated for their value monetarily and what a gift would mean coming from a particular person, I'm geared toward appreciating a gift for it's usefulness to me specifically. I don't need any more meaningless junk.
    Amen.