User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I used to be pretty nervous going up to talk though. Public speaking is definitely a skill you learn by practicing. So for people who're afraid to going up there, you just need to do it a few more rounds.
    Yep. I'm reasonably comfortable with presenting as long as I've done a lot of preparation in advance and practiced it by myself a few times. I look like I ad lib, but it's prepared in advance. For example, if I'm speaking at a conference, I'll plan how I'll reference other speakers into my talk as I'm sitting there listening to them. If I'm talking about some of my work projects, I kinda see speaking at a conference as 'yay! captive audience, I can geek out at them about all this stuff I'm fascinated by'. Dunno if that works for the audience, but it works for me.

I quite enjoy running small meetings or workshops, again if I'm well prepared. I think it's the thinking on my feet/problem solving, plus cracking jokes if they occur to me, usually sardonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Class went great. My presentation was well received.
    woot!
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yay! I'm not surprised at all with the grade.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Strangely, it seems I tend to feel more stress for intimacy than for public speaking.

Good work Halla!
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I do and like public speaking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    I used to be pretty nervous going up to talk though. Public speaking is definitely a skill you learn by practicing. So for people who're afraid to going up there, you just need to do it a few more rounds.
    Yeah, part of it is the practice/experience of the basic skills.

I actually found that the more I participated on forums, the easier public interaction got too. The more I got used to articulating my ideas in an organized fashion, plus just bantering back and forth, it gave me experience and patterns to call on when i was in public rather than not having any templates at all. I am just someone who needs to think through something first before being comfortable 'winging' it all the time.

If I'm talking about a subject I already know well, the thinking is already done and people are just triggering ideas I've already figured out, so they're far easier to share and the anxiety is not there.

Worst part of public interaction for me: The physical component. If I'm nervous, i don't know what to do with my hands or how to hold my body, etc.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft