MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Halla, you crack me up!
    Good luck, hope you rock tonight.

I usually am terrified of speaking in front of a group.

The only time I enjoyed it was within the last year, where I was doing a Q&A for an audience and could respond to their questions in free form. I bring it up simply because maybe for once I tasted how empowering it might be for someone who does enjoy it. I felt totally capable and myself, and actually felt rather shocked because I could feel people responding to me -- laughing at whimsical comments I made, hanging intently on what I was saying, engaging what I shared and asking more question. And I was also very keyed into what they were asking and how they were receiving it and tailoring my response (content and length) to match the crowd's mood.

I actually could have been in the moment forever.

But it was very weird, I never would have said that in the past or thought it could be so intoxicating an experience. The closest I had ever come was ad lib musical performance, where I would create ambiance on the piano and respond to the audience's mood. Talking directly is more frightening.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It never occurred to me. I just speak, no matter how many people are listening. I am not nervous at all, nor do I get an adrenaline rush. It doesn't phase me either way.

Good luck tonight!!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've never enjoyed public speaking as much as Halla74. It sounds like you will have a fun evening. Glad to hear you enjoy it.

I do a fair amount for teaching and performing. I get nervous performing especially technically challenging works in a formal setting. I performed piano recently with a chamber group and one section was so freaking hard. There was 1:15 minutes of the piece that required 50-100 hours of practice on my part. Unfortunately I faltered three times, but recovered due to my internalizing the reflexes. My heart pounded and afterwards I was shivering from the intensity of it.

There is something in the experience that I like, but do see that extroverts can have the advantage on this. When I teach or lead out in ensembles there's a certain character I slip into which is unfortunately mildly dorky.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I enjoy public speaking and always get positive comments about my ability, partly because Im fairly quiet otherwise - give me a stage and Ill own it.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

In spite of my non-hatred of public speaking, I'm an awful public speaker. In most presentation settings, I've had a non-interactive audience, and those throw me off. The times I have had an interactive audience have been terrific.
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    eNFP

I love public speaking, especially when I can add in impromptu jokes to include the crowd. Aside from that though, I can't say I handle performing (music) in front of groups of people as well as I could. Probably because I can make fun of myself if I make any mistakes in speaking, it's no big deal-- but music is more important to me, so I put more pressure on myself to get it right.
    More pressure, more nerves, less awesome

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I suck at public speaking. My voice gets all shaky and it sounds like I'm crying since I'm terrified.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

When I took speech class in college I shook while giving the speech. She told us to just keep trying no matter how hard it was. It was funneh.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

I've always LOVED performing on stage, especially comedy. I LOVE taking on a different character but also enjoy stand-up. When I was younger, I had horrific stage fright but really LOVED performing for the adrenaline rush. I pushed myself to do a lot of live theater because I knew once I'd be on and I could hear people laughing and enjoying themselves, it would be the greatest rush...it was.

Public speaking, on the other hand, was always harder. I remember once getting on stage in a large debate and just being tongue-tied. I apologized and just left! This was a very well rehearsed speech but I just couldn't do it. After that, I decided I had to overcome the fear. Did more and more public speaking in high school and college and got more comfortable with the medium. Now it depends on the day. More preparation and thought given to the subject always=more enjoyment. On a day when I haven't had a lot of time to prepare but I'm still comfortable with the subject and enjoy it, I can still have a great time because of the participation it elicits from the audience and sometimes spontaneity or presenting something in an entirely new way could mean that I get something different and valuable out of the experience as well....I LOVE that!

MBTI
    INTP

Man, I wish I was good (or at least competent) at public speaking; I always get extreme stage-fright, with repeated brain farts, uncontrollable shaking, shortness of breath, and sweating bullets. I took a public speaking class, and while I thoroughly aced all the written portions, I ended up with just a "C" (and I'm pretty sure that's just because the professor took pity on me).