User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Yea. I would like to know.

People build up these assumptions about all the types.

I played up my ENTJ stereotype in an effort to make you guys see that these assumptions are useless.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Of course people shouldn't assume. However, they only do have what you tell them to go on. So far, amassed on that:

- traditional type of guy, take chargey, masculine, family oriented, smart
    - some difficulty showing vulnerability, both due to personality proclavities and past experiences
    - interest in growth and self-awareness that does not often happen in this type till much later
    - direct and to the point
    - developing introspection and true security
    - ambitious and lots of drive to excel
    - well connected, educated family with money
    - busy father growing up
    - in some ways stereotypical jock image (frat boy partier, nice car, polo shirt uniform, sportsy)
    - jump in with both feet type in threads, friendships, relationships
    - romantic at heart even though not everyone might know that
    - appreciative (at least in writing), warm
    - curious
    - likes reading
    - still metamorphasizing, but lots of growth in the last while
    - appreciates directness

That's what I've got so far. Anything to add, sir?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Of course people shouldn't assume. However, they only do have what you tell them to go on. So far, amassed on that:

- traditional type of guy, take chargey, masculine, family oriented, smart
    - some difficulty showing vulnerability, both due to personality proclavities and past experiences
    - interest in growth and self-awareness that does not often happen in this type till much later
    - direct and to the point
    - developing introspection and true security
    - ambitious and lots of drive to excel
    - well connected, educated family with money
    - busy father growing up
    - in some ways stereotypical jock image (frat boy partier, nice car, polo shirt uniform, sportsy)
    - jump in with both feet type in threads, friendships, relationships
    - romantic at heart even though not everyone might know that
    - appreciative (at least in writing), warm
    - curious
    - likes reading
    - still metamorphasizing, but lots of growth in the last while
    - appreciates directness

That's what I've got so far. Anything to add, sir?
    CAN BE A BIG FAT LAZY BUM
    Deeply religious, just not organized religion.
    Unendingly funny.
    Likes to just lay back and think about shit all day.
    Loves to play, sing, and listen to music.
    Loves to Dance!!!!!
    Loyal in almost infinite measure. (as long as you don't betray my trust)
    Resolute in his positions.
    Charming.
    Loves to travel and see other cultures, even the third world ones.
    Driven by a desire to understand what makes people tick.
    Cares about people.

There's more but I need more thinking time.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think some other people could benefit from this sort of social vetting.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think it takes guts for most people to. I'd be curious to know, but I doubt that most people whose opinion I value would feel comfortable being brutally honest and I know that all people (myself included) have bad qualities as well as good ones. But yes, it would be informative and probably useful.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Disco, I think you're funny and laid back in a J sort of way. That's pretty much all I've built up about you.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Sniffles

Yes I'm always curious in knowing how others perceive me. It also makes for interesting entertainment noticing noticing the endless ways these perceptions contradict each other.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Yep, I also wonder... It can be quite interesting hearing about it, really. There have been very mixed accounts, I must add...
    Some people think i'm a robotic, genius-like kind of guy... Some people think i'm stupid and clumsy.
    Some people think i'm kind and caring. Some people think i'm Satan. Others like me.
    Some think i'm really funny, others boring... It's kind of odd, really.

But... The average person sheds and takes on about 20 roles in a day or something around those figures...
    Kinda odd.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I have discovered that some types truly are not even curious about this. While I don't think it should shape your life, I am often curious if people's perceptions of me match up with who I think I am, and if they don't, which party is mistaken. I'd like to make sure that what people see is an accurate reflection of who I am internally.

Would the way you would summarize your good or bad qualities square with how others do?

I would like to know why it matters to you, or why it is not important at all to you.
    It is very difficult, depending what type you are, to determine how others might percieve you. For me, this is something I can only estimate from past experiences interacting with people, or from information they have actually told me on what they think. Usually this information comes to me most efficiently by observing the interactions of OTHER people, and applying that to my own situations to judge how one might perceive me. Next, being able to tell how I would personally react, hypothetically or from existential experience, to someone in a given situation allows me to guess at how someone else might react, if they think in any way similar to myself. Usually that depends on me being able to take elements of my own thoughts and perspective and, again, estimate which of those would be the broadest and most common/applicable for the majority of people or with the specific people involved. Then there is the existential experiences Tying all the different elements together, often unconsciously, is how I'm able to predict what someone may be thinking about me. However, predicting how someone might perceive you is very difficult, for me, because it requires a lot of information to be truly accurate, info that is often not available.

The importance in how people perceive me is something that waxes and wanes depending on where I'm at in life. If I'm not trying to to gain something from someone socially or materially, and I'm just trying to be myself and go about my own business, I wont give too much CONSCIOUS thought to how others perceive me, as I should already be acting on autopilot in regards to what social norms I'm adhering to in order to not make waves. Everyone does that, without any thought. I consciously work with my ideas about how others perceive me when i encounter a situation where i feel i need to change my behavior in order to illicit a different reaction from those around me, or I need something from them. Politics, for instance, requires great attention to how others perceive you, conscious attention. You are constantly dealing with different types of people in different circumstances, and they must all be made to look upon you favorably, requiring many behavioral adjustments in order to get that response from them. That requires that you have a great deal of accurate knowledge about how others will perceive you under any number of circumstances.

My summary mostly reflects my own way of thinking, likely heavily dependent upon my MBTI type, which is known for being highly meta-cognitive (thinking about how you think), probably more so than the rather low (imo) average.
    Thinking about the workings of your own thought processes, I believe, opens up the doors to understanding the general thought processes of others more clearly, when there is sufficient similarity. In a way, that is what MBTI is often used for, to understand others in new ways. It can also be used as information to predict behavior.

Enneagram
    9w8

I do not think about it consciously, but am aware of it - others interact with me based on what they perceive in me, my personality and motivations, and they are so often incorrect in real life. I have a ridiculously unshakable want to be seen in an authentic manner, for those I care about to know what I really am.

I always make little addendums to what I say that clarifies something - to express exactly what I mean or where I am coming from. This is primarily to avoid those misunderstandings that commonly occur when others assume and don't bother to ask, taking their own interpretations of a situation as truth.

Now, others thinking something bad about me that is untrue does not affect me, at least in the fact that if I show it to be false and they don't listen there is nothing I can do. People make a choice to be unwilling to open their eyes and inflexible in their thinking, and concerning meself with that outside of friends and loved ones would have me going grey far before my time.