User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Does it matter to me if other people perceive the same things about me that I do?

Well, I feel it, but I won't say that it matters, if that makes sense. It's excruciating to feel misunderstood. But it's a matter of perspective -- other people can't see me the way I see myself because they don't have my context, they're too far from me, and I'm too close to myself. What's true is probably somewhere inbetween, but it's relative in any case.

I would like to think that it is "interesting" or that it amuses me. Truth: sometimes it hurts. Then again, sometimes I get more credit than I think I deserve.

ETA because we were posting at the same time:

How you present yourself definitely affects what people think of you -- the thing is, you don't know what that's going to be. You can aim for something generally pleasing and hope for the best. But somebody who would say that about you without knowing you at all, that's the kind of person I'd say can kiss your ass. It's frustrating because you know it's not true, but ... who is that person to you? No one. Right? So do the best you can but don't get wrapped up in it, that's the conclusion I've come to.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I love myself and am at peace with the universe.
    Therefore, I do not care what others think about me.
    I never have, since I can remember.
    The obvious exception is opinions of dearly loved ones, like my wifey, kids, parents, etc., but the public at large? NOPE!
    i absolutely agree!!
    well said, Halla!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Tiltyred, I keep misreading your username.

On topic...Of course I wonder...I hate wondering but nevertheless I do...
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

So SP boys, does it matter if the perceptions of your loved ones square up with what you think of yourself, or is it more if they have negative feelings towards you that need to be dealt with?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

So far, mostly INFJs. That's interesting...

The STJs I know care very much about those in authority or higher rank think of them, but less about those under them. ESTJs who choose to emphasize their social life seem to care about their status within a group, more than the individual opinions of everyone, especially those they consider lower. I think insecurities can worsen this though, so maybe my perspectives there are skewed. Most STJs don't care for being seen as dressing/acting too unconventionally nor having those that reflect them (SO) do so either. They are more likely though to dismiss the opinions of those that they don't feel have any merit or whom they don't respect. I'd like to hear more NT and SJ opinions on this too...

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I love myself and am at peace with the universe.
    Therefore, I do not care what others think about me.

What happened to the energizer bunny, Mr. Universe?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I have varying percentages of 'Give A Crap'.

Joe Blow on the street? Don't 'Give A Crap'.
    People online who I have let know some personal information, and who I enjoy conversing with, 50% 'Give A Crap'.
    Bi11y b0b HaxZor, and other internet irritations, Don't 'Give A Crap'.
    People I have to work with, 60% 'Give A Crap'. Since I would like to continue to have a job. To a point.

Family, RL friends, certain people online I consider friends, although we may have never met. 100% 'Give A Crap'.

...I know what you're thinking. Don't sass me.

MBTI
    INFP

Other peoples perceptions don't usually bother me because I am content with myself. Actually other people's perceptions of me often surprise me - it's usually much more positive than mine of myself.

MBTI
    INFP

I don't let what others (will) think of me get in the way of my passionate pursuits, but I don't recklessly disregard it for petty gains.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm usually quite aware of what others are thinking about me and use it to my advantage in social situations... not for evil really... I can really be quite pleasant if its necissary!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett