User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Extroverts are more happy?

I just recently read a study that said that the four main predictors of happiness in individuals are the character traits of: 1) Extroversion, 2) Optimism, 3) Self-Esteem, and 4) Personal control. The study was done by Myers and Diener in 1997 if anyone wants to check the facts.

Thoughts?

Edit* I think perhaps I should have put this in another area. Sorry!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I just recently read a study that said that the four main predictors of happiness in individuals are the character traits of: 1) Extroversion, 2) Optimism, 3) Self-Esteem, and 4) Personal control. The study was done by Myers and Diener in 1997 if anyone wants to check the facts.

Thoughts?
    Considering I score very high in all four of the categories above, and am the happiest person I know of, I'd say there is at least some credibility to that theory. Traits 2, 3, and 4 naturally re-inforce feelings of happiness. I think extroversion assists in fueling happiness via a default inclination to not become isolated; humans are social animals.

Nice.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah, it's true
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I think extroversion assists in fueling happiness via a default inclination to not become isolated; humans are social animals.
    Yeah, that likely has a lot to do with it. Also, extroverts tend to have an easier time fitting in with others and taking new risks.

I used to have a book on happiness, which mentioned the correlation between extroversion and happiness. It hypothesized that extroverts are more likely to try new things a lot, and explore different opportunities and new experiences, and since we all have a need for novelty happiness scores are generally greater among them.

I should say that the difference wasn't that large though. I can't find the book right now, but as I recall introverts rated themselves, on average, around a 7 on a scale of 10 when asked how happy they are. And extroverts were maybe around 8.5.

I think extroversion is used as a synonym for social skills sometimes, which is not entirely true. Saying that "being more outgoing" is one of the "main predictors of happiness" seems to be elitist introverted wound-licking.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    I think extroversion is used as a synonym for social skills sometimes, which is not entirely true. Saying that "being more outgoing" is one of the "main predictors of happiness" seems to be elitist introverted wound-licking.
    That's true too. I'd be interested to see how exactly they defined extroversion. Maybe their definition has nothing to do with the definitions used in mbti: how you get your energy and how you most easily process information. It might have more to do with whether someone is friendly and enjoys others, whether they initiate conversations and seek out others and relate well to them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I think extroversion is used as a synonym for social skills sometimes, which is not entirely true.
    The meaning of lots of words are misunderstood, and even mis-applied. "Social skills" and "extroversion" are not synonymous in my book, as extroversion is a trait, and skills can be learned by anyone, whether they exhibit the trait of extroversion or not.

Saying that "being more outgoing" is one of the "main predictors of happiness" seems to be elitist introverted wound-licking.
    I don't think anyone has said that in this thread. It's probably been said elsewhere though. There are also alot of elitist introvert conspiracies too, so whatever, every type has its fair share of buttmunchers.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I don't think anyone has said that in this thread. It's probably been said elsewhere though.
    Yeah, that was just a side-note. It really hasn't been mentioned in the thread

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Most likely true yeah. Spending time with others usually doesn't give you much time to think about world problems.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

extroverts might seem to exude more confidence, which grants them more bitches, which may give them more drive to succeed, and earn more money, and possibly...spinning rims, the pinnacle of happiness.