User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

This must be true, as I am the happiest person alive.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think depressed extroverts mistyping themselves as introverts are making us look bad, tipping the scales.
    Yes, I have heard this, that depressed and unhappy extroverts "test" as introverts on pretty much everything, which makes introverts look like an unhappy bunch.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the study defined "happiness" so that it could be measured objectively?

Subjective value judgements/statements are mercilessly predisposed to causing erroneous measure of anything associated with them.
    Yeah; actually, many studies have been conducted and they all lead to the same results. I can't see why we need to find a rationalization as to why extraverts might appear more happy even if perhaps they actually are not this type of problem should tend to cancel out when the sample becomes very large, in my opinion. For example, introverts have been consistently shown to have better grades. To each his own.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    This must be true, as I am the happiest person alive.
    I must admit I am suspicious of extroverts. Certainly they look happy. In fact they look so happy, even the happiest person alive, that I want to imitate them and be extroverted myself.

But as I try to find their inner happiness, I come up empty.

Perhaps it is because I find my happiness in freely expressing my inner self. And so I look for the inner happiness of others.

But trying to be an extrovert myself or looking for the inner happiness of an extrovert, leads me nowhere.

I have tried to complement an extrovert with my introversion, and while this is appreciated at first, it also gets nowhere.

So I guess my inner happiness cannot be reciprocated by an extrovert. In fact my inner happiness seems to be dismissed by extroverts.

This seems to be an insoluble problem for me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I just recently read a study that said that the four main predictors of happiness in individuals are the character traits of: 1) Extroversion, 2) Optimism, 3) Self-Esteem, and 4) Personal control. The study was done by Myers and Diener in 1997 if anyone wants to check the facts.

Thoughts?

Edit* I think perhaps I should have put this in another area. Sorry!
    You're most likely correct that extraverts on the whole are probably happier than introverts. However, while introverts are liable to score lower in the former 2 categories (at least for an INTP and similar types), I do believe we might score higher than extroverts in self esteem and personal control. Why? Because we depend far less on interactions with people to define us or our sense of happiness in general. We are not apt to care as much about what others think as an extravert. OTOH, we are still human and do require some level of positive human interaction, a need that while lower in introverts than for extraverts, can still fall far from satisfactory levels if the introvert has poor social skills. In such a case, the introvert is likely to have lower self esteem. For personal control, I also believe introverts might have the upper hand because of their more reclusive/introspective nature that aligns them toward having a better handle over the state of their own minds, and thus greater control of their lives. They depend less on social interaction and networking to achieve their goals.

That's my perspective.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I must admit I am suspicious of extroverts. Certainly they look happy. In fact they look so happy, even the happiest person alive, that I want to imitate them and be extroverted myself.

But as I try to find their inner happiness, I come up empty.

Perhaps it is because I find my happiness in freely expressing my inner self. And so I look for the inner happiness of others.

But trying to be an extrovert myself or looking for the inner happiness of an extrovert, leads me nowhere.

I have tried to complement an extrovert with my introversion, and while this is appreciated at first, it also gets nowhere.

So I guess my inner happiness cannot be reciprocated by an extrovert. In fact my inner happiness seems to be dismissed by extroverts.

This seems to be an insoluble problem for me.
    I'd say happiness comes from the ability to balance the two in proper proportions, wouldn't you?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah; actually, many studies have been conducted and they all lead to the same results. I can't see why we need to find a rationalization as to why extraverts might appear more happy even if perhaps they actually are not this type of problem should tend to cancel out when the sample becomes very large, in my opinion. For example, introverts have been consistently shown to have better grades. To each his own.
    Exactly! It's sillyness I tell you. SILLYNESS!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    We must rationalize it because we cannot have the extroverts pulling on introverts even harder to reshape us in their image because it will make us happier. Because they obviously know what is best for us because they're so damn happy all the time and that that gives them the right to tear us open and turn us inside out in the hopes that we will be more like them.

The fact that extroverts are happier obviously means that there is something wrong with introverts. At least, that's what most people will read. And introverts will plunge deeper into their collective depression because of this.

It's also been consistently shown that better grades are useless after a certain point. Coincidence? I think not.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well I guess extroverts are happy because we all have to deal with other people one way or another. If introverts didn't have to deal with other people we'd be just as happy as they are.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think the test shows a misunderstanding of what introversion is. It also suggests that certain personality types are most suited to a particular society.

You can get the same results when people match a society's expectations of behavior, they will tend to be happier because they gain constant approval for living up to the norm. The "optimistic" category also sounds like circular reasoning to me. People who expect positive outcomes and think happy thoughts are happy? Yeah, probably.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)