First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I think it was something like higher life satisfaction or something.
    "higher life satisfaction?"

Well, that clears everything up.

I hate to nitpick, but I don't see the point in conducting a study that produces such vague results. Maybe I'm too much of a data-head. If I had defintions for each of the 4 criteria used as proxies for "happiness", and a table with a few thousand (random) observations of introverts and extroverts that is representative of the population at large, values for each of the four scores, and some summary statistics, I'd be bitching alot less.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

^^ wolfie... haha!! are you serious!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I am super-serious about being happy, young Lady_X.
    Also, I'm not Wolfy, but I do howl at the moon from time to time.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I am super-serious about being happy, young Lady_X.
    Also, I'm not Wolfy, but I do howl at the moon from time to time.

Of course, I am serious. *This is my serious face* Imagine if you had a little slip given to you when you were born. Check box A. Learn to poo poo. Check. Then as you check them off you got an internal feeling of happiness. The more you did, the more happy and content you became.

If you want to measure happiness you are going to have to measure something and if the measure can't be measured what is there to measure?

If you know you don't know then you know.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think depressed extroverts mistyping themselves as introverts are making us look bad, tipping the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if the study defined "happiness" so that it could be measured objectively?

Subjective value judgements/statements are mercilessly predisposed to causing erroneous measure of anything associated with them.
    Well neuroscience can already measure happiness/pleasure objectively. It's just harder to do a major study that way, as opposed to having people check a box.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i hear ya halla and believe ya....calm down! haha i'm happy too...happy is a 7's default state isn't it?

just thought it was funny wanting to turn an abstract emotion into something that can be measured with graphs or check boxes...haha...you super silly s's
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Of course, I am serious. *This is my serious face* Imagine if you had a little slip given to you when you were born. Check box A. Learn to poo poo. Check. Then as you check them off you got an internal feeling of happiness. The more you did, the more happy and content you became.

If you want to measure happiness you are going to have to measure something and if the measure can't be measured what is there to measure?

If you know you don't know then you know.
    Exactly! Thank you for your commentary, Dr. Wolfy.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think depressed extroverts mistyping themselves as introverts are making us look bad, tipping the scales.
    I agree, they should be drawn and quartered.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well neuroscience can already measure happiness/pleasure objectively. It's just harder to do a major study that way, as opposed to having people check a box.
    It is not necessary to open up people's brains and measure their neurological activity with electrodes to measure a subjective concept such as happiness in a reasonably objective manner. Happiness to some is laughter, to others an erection, whatever. Maybe I'm just way too practical, but studies like this appear to be unusable for anything constructive.

i hear ya halla and believe ya....calm down! haha i'm happy too...happy is a 7's default state isn't it?
    I am calm, Sistah'! Ring 7w8 rules, no question about it, I'd never doubt it. If anything, 7w8s are happiness incarnate!

just thought it was funny wanting to turn an abstract emotion into something that can be measured with graphs or check boxes...haha...you super silly s's
    Yeah, OK, that's ESTP emotional retardation!

I put everything into MS Excel, it holds up alot better in court than pictures of smilies or shards of poetry written on empty cigarrette box scraps. :yim_rolling_on_the_

I have no patience for bullshit. If I call bullshit, and someone can't prove something, I'm done with whatever it is they are talking about. If you can't back it up then don't spit it out, ya' know? This is most likely a result of me being raised by an ESTJ Type-A hostile Army Colonel. Other than being a stickler for numbers and logical explanations I'm a hell of a nice guy.

I'm totally not emotionally affected by any of this, I swear. I'm just nitpicking because I am bored and have no alcohol.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:

Quotes:

MBTI
    ENFP

It should be quite clear from the original post that extroversion alone doesn't make a person happy. There were three other factors listed; so if an extrovert lacked in the other three areas they probably wouldn't be happy if the study is valid. On the other hand, an introvert can be quite happy if they are doing well in the other three areas. An extrovert would simply be more likely to be happy since they have one of the four areas already covered.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Clonester View Post
    It should be quite clear from the original post that extroversion alone doesn't make a person happy. There were three other factors listed; so if an extrovert lacked in the other three areas they probably wouldn't be happy if the study is valid. On the other hand, an introvert can be quite happy if they are doing well in the other three areas. An extrovert would simply be more likely to be happy since they have one of the four areas already covered.
    But going by that logic still implies that introversion and happiness are not correlated, and that extroversion and happiness are. It seems like you are under the impression that extroversion is a "step in the right direction" so to speak while introversion is a regression on the road to happiness, and as I stated in my first post on this topic, that's not entirely the case...