User Tag List

123 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Default Why do people love assumption?

Please weigh in on this topic!

I think that assumption acts like the training wheels to logical thought. For those who are too lazy to take the time to do the research, or those who are to ashamed to admit what they don't know.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit
    I think that assumption acts like the training wheels to logical thought.
    On the contrary, assumption is necessary for logical thought. Check out Gdel's incompleteness theorems.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by laughingebony View Post
    On the contrary, assumption is necessary for logical thought. Check out Gdel's incompleteness theorems.
    Only in cases where due to circumstances outside of one's control adequate data could not be retrieved.

But, this is not what I'm talking about.

What I'm talking about is the tendency in common conversation, for ignorance to beget confidence.

For people to assume things about others that would literally take them 30 seconds to learn if they would only ask.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I would rather ask a question than assume .. Even if it does make me look a fool.

I have never presumed to know everything.

And yeah, i could look it up .. But i am surrounded by shit loads of intelligent people .. One of you at least will have the answer .. And it is a good way to start a conversation.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

And yeah, i could look it up .. But i am surrounded by shit loads of intelligent people .. One of you at least will have the answer .. And it is a good way to start a conversation.
    That is perfectly acceptable!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

its how our brains work.

I know that we like to put things into binary categories a lot. So, maybe we do that too.

I just made the assumption that the parallel holds

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    What I'm talking about is the tendency in common conversation, for ignorance to beget confidence.

For people to assume things about others that would literally take them 30 seconds to learn if they would only ask.
    This might not be what the OP meant but I admit, this is actually something I do. But the thing is, I don't assume that I know everything or what I assume is correct, I only pick up cues from here and there to build up a bigger picture.

My assumptions go hand in hand with occasional questions. Questions arise assumptions and I ask questions to back up my assumptions. It's a continuous cycle. Somehow I consider asking a lot of questions to be invasive from my part. I have absolutely no problems with people asking me questions, I always have the choice whether to answer them or not, but I cannot bring myself to become really inquisitive. Hence, there's always information coming in, from what people choose to tell me, some things get assumed and I'm constantly looking for other cues to back up my assumptions.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by run View Post
    its how our brains work.

I know that we like to put things into binary categories a lot. So, maybe we do that too.

I just made the assumption that the parallel holds
    I understand that to a certain extent we will all subconsciously assume things.

They key is too minimize how much we assume.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Assumptions are a logical necessity. Of course, we need to check that they're right, that is, factually accurate
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

At more than one point in our lives all of us will make assumptions. It's a part of life.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris