User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    I'm guessing that what you're really asking is, why do so many people people make such ignorant assumptions?
    This is right. WHY, people, why?
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I find it more frustrating if you tell people that you have no clue that they start to encourage you to make assumptions.

An engineer never makes assumptions
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

You keep changing your type and sex! What are you, an ENTJ ENTP transvestite?
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I dont talk to straights and A students

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I might be an A student, but who says I'm straight?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

ouuuh, nasty, not my type.. xD

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Who says I'm not straight?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You are confusing my little brain

You want a beer cookie ? I baked em myself, 100% beer

Sniffles

Aside from the point that rational discourse depends on assumptions at some point(axioms) I think toonia makes some good points:

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Assumptions serve a purpose, but there can be a problem is it is embraced too readily, and/or held onto for too long.

Based on the media presentation of "fact" and "analysis" it can seem like people do not know how to form an assumption rationally or how to question it. When bombarded with complex information from every side as we do in modern life, there needs to be some system for filtering it into something manageable that can be processed within a human mind. Fear and familiarity become two of the most powerful systems for generating assumption. When this is how the original assumption is formed, then that is typically how it needs to be replaced. An individual must be able to recognize reason and then choose to implement it as a new way of forming assumption, and not everyone will do this, and it is possible that not everyone can do this.
    Yes, although I take issue with the description of "complex" information. Much of the information(if you can really call it such) we're bombarded with on a constant basis are far from complex, but largely are sound-bytes dressed up to look like infortmation. "White noise" is probably the better the term to use here.

There's also a fundamental problem with many of the prevailing assumptions these days, especially that every perspective is just mere opinion, and that there is no general truth at all. When that's your starting point, then there really is not much to discuss to begin with. You have your truth, I have my truth - end of discussion. The whole basis for rational discourse has been eliminated.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

When our ancestors saw fire in the woods for the very first time, they must have thought it came from the gods. Note I'm making an assumption here myself. Bottomline we make up stuff for things we can't explain/understand.
    In science assumptions can lead to something, with higher probability if it's stems from a rational basis.

Social assumptions are usually just the result of laziness, ignorance, superficialness, intelligence and/or upbringing/background etc. Impossible to pinpoint imo.