User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What music did you grow up with?

Protocol Droid Array Athenian200's Avatar

Mostly Styx and Billy Joel.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Early in life, it was records off the Lawrence Welk show and similar (no kidding).

My first album I ever bought (in 6th grade) was Barry Manilow's Greatest Hits.

Most of my teen years were spent immersed in CCM (including Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, The Imperials, Petra, White Heart, etc.) and secular soft pop. I was really into the group Chicago in high school, although I'm not fond of anything they produce now.

My dad played a lot of opera and discouraged non-classical music. My mom was an "easy listener" completely. I also knew a lot of show/Broadway music. A real big stroke of fortuity was finding my dad's Allen Sherman and Stan Freberg records.

Nowadays my tastes are far more varied. (I just saw "A Fine Frenzy" the other week in concern, and I like a lot of heavy rock.) Once I got out of that subculture and had access to other sounds, I started to explore them.

But I still have a strong sense of safety and nostalgia when I hear Air Supply, Journey, REO Speedwagon, and a bunch of other groups from the early/mid-80's. The Internet's been pretty useful for being able to listen to a lot of past stuff for free.

EDIT: Ath200, yeah, Styx and Billy Joel rock. (And Queen and Saga and The Cars, etc.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Array MonkeyGrass's Avatar

Great thread topic!

Grandparents loved southern gospel and old country, as well as Elvis. My parents only listened to contemporary Christian music. Like, militantly. Micheal W Smith, Crystal Lewis, Audio Adrenalin, Steven Curtis Chapman, Avalon, ad nauseum. When my dad was in rare form, he'd play/sing seventies rock tunes, and I loved it. I liked the weirdest Christian bands/artists I could get my hands on (not being allowed to listen to secular tunes ): Miss Angie, POD, Tri Danielson, etc, and anything instrumental.

These days, I rarely listen to "CCM" at all, mostly because I simply can't reconcile most of it with my own beliefs about God. It's a bit trite. That, and, well, it's generally just bland, or poorly executed. I like folk music, anti-folk, indie rock, jazz, rock, classical, world music...really, I enjoy anything that's truly unique and excellent in its genre, if it fits into one.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

What did your folks or older siblings listen to?

My older sister mostly listened to KROQ, an alternative rock station in LA. Back then, it played the Pixies, Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode, The Cure, etc. That music is still some of my favorite.

My mom mostly played 70s and 80s soft rock around me. I dislike a lot of her favorite bands actually. The music I like from her youth is music she didn't like (ie. classic punk rock). I do like certain music she exposed me to, like Patsy Cline.

My grandma liked oldies and a lot of swing/jazz music from the 30s/40s. I like a lot of that better than my mom's music.

Do you think you have any extra affinity (or distaste) for that specific genre as a result?

Absolutely. It definitely set me on a certain track. I tend to like alternative/indie/college rock stuff and I like some jazzy stuff also.

Do you think that an emotional connection/association with music can make you like something that wouldn't normally attract you?

Sometimes, yes. Mostly music my friends and I discovered in our adolescence that seems pretty lame to me now, haha. I'll listen to it now out of nostalgia, but if it was new and I came across it, I'd probably dismiss it.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

i grew up with rap music: N.W.A., Eazy-E, Too $hort, Cypress Hill, Ice-T, Dr. Dre, Snoop... that is mostly what we had. i have moved away from listening to it.
    and we also had some R&B and soul music (Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, Al Green), but i heard a lot less of that in general, and more as i got a little older and started searching it out.

at home my father listened to classical music a lot, pretty much exclusively operas and symphonies. that was the only music at home.