User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What music did you grow up with?

Nips away your dignity Array Fluffywolf's Avatar
    9 sp/sx

Mainly Queen and ACDC. Oh and Dire Straits - Money for Nothing x 1000000000...

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    What music did you grow up with (before you were of an age to pick out your own music). What did your folks or older siblings listen to? Do you think you have any extra affinity (or distaste) for that specific genre as a result?
    Seriously, I can't remember. Other than some god awful local stuff and occasional Boney M, I don't remember my parents even listening to music. Ok, there was the radio as the background noise but that was it. I am the oldest child and my brother never had/has no interest in music whatsoever.

So I have no idea where I got my love for music. It certainly didn't come from my parents. I basically listened to a lot of radio when growing up and fortunately they didn't seem to mind that (Thanks, Mom and Dad! ). And it wasn't some strictly specialized station either. I didn't then and I don't pay that much attention to genres now, I just listened/listen to whatever made/makes me feel good, something that brings out some positive emotion.

I knew that I'd rather not listen to that much of electronic stuff or this ultra mainstream pop blah stuff. I always tuned out whenever there happened to be those 90's boyband/girlband dance-pop and teen-pop songs on. I preferred to listen to the 70's and 80's pop/rock the most and I certainly do have an affinity for that now as well. I guess I can thank my parents for not listening to some really awful music back then because I think I might really hate some music and thankfully I don't.

Do you think that an emotional connection/association with music can make you like something that wouldn't normally attract you? I know that certain important people to me have introduced me to types of music that I otherwise wouldn't have explored or appreciated as much.
    Yes, definitely. I love to discover new sounds and voices and I'm certainly open to listen to anything. How long I'm able to listen to something might be a whole another matter though. But overall, even if I don't happen to like a certain genre/song/artist at the moment, I know from past experiences that when it finally reaches me, I can't let go of it anymore.

Nickle Iron Silicone Array Charmed Justice's Avatar

My mom listened to soul, jazz, reggae, classical, instrumental, contemporary gospel, and French opera. She also loved/s Afro-Cuban folk. At home, I heard a lot of Anita Baker, Bobby McFerrin, Sade, Third World, Yo Yo Ma, and Yanni.

My grandfather was a blues man. He loved Wynonie Harris, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Coltrane, and Billie Holiday. He would hum and sing all day long. He also loved and sang gospel. He played a lot of Henry Mancini's compositions, and Frank Sinatra.

I have a much older cousin who is a fairly famous European opera singer. I remember going to see her perform. That was surely influential.

Of my two favorite uncles, one loved 80's Euro pop. He especially liked Wham! and Aha. My other favorite uncle loved multiple subgenres of country and rock music.

I also had a lot of close friends from India and the Middle East growing up and heard a lot of traditional, spiritual, and pop music from those regions.

I can appreciate almost any musical genre, but there are specific songs that have lots of meaning to me as a result of all that I heard growing up.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

The Duchess of Oddity Array Queen Kat's Avatar

When I was little, my parents didn't really listen to music, except in the car. Then they listened to Santana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2 and The Police. When I was 4-7, I was a huge fan of the Spice Girls. I always used to pretend I was one of them.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Minister of Propagandhi Array ajblaise's Avatar

Talking Heads
    Grateful Dead
    Little Feat
    Jefferson Airplane
    Taj Mahal
    Dr. John

My dad was a sound guy for a band and kind of a Deadhead. So a lot of psychedelic rock and random world music.

I grew up with my parent's record collection, and what was on the radio at the time. Mostly, this was:

The Mamas and the Papas
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Credence Clearwater Revival
    Herb Albert and the Tihuana Brass
    The Beach Boys
    At the Hop (and similar music)

A bit later, and some on the radio:
    Oak Ridge Boys
    Eddie Rabbit
    Crystal Gale
    Barbara Mandrel
    Anne Murray
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"

4 so/sp

My mom's never been much interested in music, which is something I can't really fathom.

So growing up, the music selection was pretty much ruled by my father, and he listened exclusively to classical music. Many vivid memories of Saturday's and Sunday's with classical music blasting from the family room....and memories of my being irritated with having to be subjected to it (haha) there, as well as in the car whenever he was driving me somewhere.

Turns out...I'm a classical music fan now. But it's just a part of my larger collection.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Woooo .. Memory lane

Neil Diamond
    Dolly Parton
    Bruce Springsteen
    Michael Jackson
    Peter Gabriel
    Some 70's music
    And some excellent 80's tunes
    To name but a few ..
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Senior Member Array JivinJeffJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    My dad listened to 1950s music. He loved doo-wop, though, rather than stuff like Chuck Berry and Elvis. I really OD'd on that stuff. I don't care if I ever hear "Duke of Earl" and "Who Wrote the Book of Love?" again. And save me from the insipid teen death songs like "Teen Angel."

Dad also listened to a lot of contemporary-at-the-time country music, and country music sucked in the late 80s-early 90s, and continues to suck. I thought I hated all country music growing up. Turns out I really like the old stuff, like George Jones and Patsy Cline. And dad hates it. :-P

Mom listened to some country and these really awful Christian cds. Pre-contemporary Christian stuff, but equally annoying.
    +1. Line for line, almost. My parents pretty much listened to whatever was playing in Australian country dancehalls when they were in their teens and early 20s. Early Beatles, not later Beatles. One year my parents decided to take a year off to travel around Australia on a family expedition. So for 12 months I was stuck in a car with their tape collection. I was only 11 years old. At one point their dormant consciences evidently pricked them because they bought a "modern" tape for me and my sister to listen to once a month or so, one of those top-o-the-pops deals. I remember it had Banarama and the Eurythmics on it, and I remember heaven help me I remember pestering them incessantly to play it.

I really didn't get music until I found grunge. I tried to be into it because everyone else my age was going batshit over Metallica etc, but it just didn't happen. Of course I didn't realize it wasn't really happening until it actually did happen.

It used to irk me especially that my parents' obsession with the 60s conspicuously omitted almost all of the good music from that era, but I guess if they'd played the 'good' music for 12 months I'd think it was crap now too. I just wish they'd played some Blues and Jazz, or even classical, since they couldn't stomach post-70s music. So now I have songs like "It's my party (and I'll cry if I want to)" and "Rubber ball" irrevocably etched into my neurons.

Classical mainly, when I got a bit older and got into rock myself, my dad dug up more and more of his old rock records as well.