First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My grandmother was my primary care-giver during my first six years, and she listened to the "adult contemporary" station back in the late 70's/early 80's so I still have a deep love of that late 70's soft rock sound, like John Denver, Linda Ronstadt, Poco, America, etc. It comforts and soothes me like nothing else, I tell you. My attachment to it is passionate and irrational.

Some of my other relatives listened to old country music, blue grass, the whole "Classic rock" sound (Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Rush) which surely influenced me, though I completely HATE HATE HATE "new" country music.

I remember listening to early 80's pop on the radio, and I still have a fondness for New Wave in particular.

When I started listening to my own music, I almost immediately began gravitating toward "college music" even when I was ten or eleven. There was some heavy metal hair bands thrown in there, too.

MBTI
    INTP

My dad listened to 1950s music. He loved doo-wop, though, rather than stuff like Chuck Berry and Elvis. I really OD'd on that stuff. I don't care if I ever hear "Duke of Earl" and "Who Wrote the Book of Love?" again. And save me from the insipid teen death songs like "Teen Angel."

Dad also listened to a lot of contemporary-at-the-time country music, and country music sucked in the late 80s-early 90s, and continues to suck. I thought I hated all country music growing up. Turns out I really like the old stuff, like George Jones and Patsy Cline. And dad hates it. :-P

Mom listened to some country and these really awful Christian cds. Pre-contemporary Christian stuff, but equally annoying.

My grandmother listened to vinyl albums of people like Andy Williams and Jim Nabors.

I basically got none of my musical tastes from anyone in my family.
    Something Witty

My mom listened to lots of Motown and doo-wop on oldies stations, and Barry Manilow, Billy Joel and Kenny Rogers. I think we only had three 8-track tapes for our van, and it was those three guys. My dad really doesn't like very much music at all, oddly enough. I've never met anyone like that. He LOVES him some ABBA Gold though, so I guess that explains it :P

I definitely got on board with the Motown and it led to a broader love of 60s soul that I have to this day. It's one of my favorite kinds of music. I also like Billy Joel. He was my first concert (which I went to with my parents...yeah, I was cool.) Kenny, Barry and ABBA? Not so much.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My dad listens to 80's hair metal, other kinds of metal/hard rock, etc. Metallica is his favorite.

My mom listens to Madonna and other 80's pop, mostly. But really, she's the kind of person who listens to pretty much everything.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    country music for the most part.
    Yes, same here . . . Excuse me while gag on memories of "Achey-Breaky Heart" and other pieces of poetry.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Eric Clapton.
    The Police.
    The Beatles.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

60's- 70's hippie music from both and also classical from my mother. they both really calm me i guess we have/had similar tastes.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    xxxx

My parents had awful taste in music. 60s/70s unidentifiable miscellaneous and country. I always found it particularly infuriating. Not because of my personal distaste for it, but because my parents would play it to no end, despite my objections. On car trips, they would play it loudly enough for I to hear when they did not need do so.

Music is media. I strongly despise media being forced down my throat. I can stop reading a book. I can turn a television off. (or leave the room) To cease hearing is difficult. It deeply annoyed me that my parents would not respect this. To this day the main reason I play music is to create a white noise against everyone else's.

In short, I have a tendency to despise the music that everyone likes enough to play aloud.

</semi rant>
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Motley Crue
    Cinderella
    Violent Femmes
    Joan Jett
    Missing Persons

MBTI
    intp