User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Default Why being a jerk is GOOD!

Alright so one of the classes at college I have to do an oral presentation on attitude. The specifics beyond that were pretty much open ended.

Since I absolutely abhor oral presentations, I decided to go with something I can really get into and provide real conviction to, as well as corrupting the purpose of the presentation.

So I'm doing my report on: why having a bad attitude is a good thing!

Now I know there's some pretty obvious reasons... yeu flat out get things handed to yeu when yeu're a total asshat, get rules bent for yeu, and so on.

How many people get their own way in a store by being a jerk? Butt in line and get to keep it? That annoying as hell boss of yeurs who gets paid 10X as much as yeu do but has an attitude that drips acid?

These're pretty obvious ones, but I'm curious if anyone has any really good ones they've seen recently for examples. I need to fill a good 2-3 minutes worth of babbling here, and want to cite as many examples as humanly possible to piss people off XD

MBTI
    INFJ

A. What is a jerk
    B. What is jerky behavior?

Because you might be mistaking jerkiness for confidence. And confidence isnt a bad thing whereas being a jerk is.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

You can feel "powerful" and "in control." Once you feel this way you can get other people believing it, even if it's not true. From that point it's easy to try to get the benefits from being "powerful" and "in control"

MBTI
    INTJ

Jerk!

Damn ENFPs, taking all the fun out of being powerful and in control.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You jerks !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Now I know there's some pretty obvious reasons... yeu flat out get things handed to yeu when yeu're a total asshat, get rules bent for yeu, and so on.
    Personally, I'd say there are far easier ways of this. Being nice, but manipulative, gets you whatever the hell you want, and people still like you.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

I'd love to answer this directly but I couldn't concentrate on what you wrote after the second sic typo. It's bemusing and irritating.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Being a jerk can work quite often simply because of 2 things.

1: Being a jerk asserts you above others in power and position, often forcing them to yield to your will. When you assert yourself to such a position, you are usurping the rules and expectations of conduct that most people adhere to (being polite and courteous), and are thus taking this game we call life and bending it to your will, your rules, your desired outcome.

2. Bad behavior in today's society is often rewarded or at least positively reinforced. By positive reinforcement, I mean the textbook definition of it as it relates to psychology: adding or presenting a stimulus which strengthens a response and makes it more likely to recur.

Take the Fort Hood shooter for example. Because of political correctness, the military saw fit to overlook his brazen extremism as expressed in his personal life and in lectures to his fellow personnel while on duty. He espoused sentiments that would've gotten anyone else thrown out of the military, but the military never punished him because they did not want to look bad ejecting a Muslim. So, Mr. Malik Hasan was left without any repercussions for his actions, and thus received positive reinforcement of his behavior. He continued to stay in the military and develop his extremist views without any resistance, and eventually went on to kill some 13 people and wound nearly 30 others. Then the media and certain sectors of the public proceed to act completely apologetic and sympathetic towards his murderous behavior, and further reinforce it for him and all others who share his beliefs.

Take this case and multiply it by infinity across the nation in oh so many individual cases, and you have the basis for being a jerk in modern society.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Anyone who thinks being a jerk is good has missed the point. It's a zero sum game.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Being a jerk can work quite often simply because of 2 things.

1: Being a jerk asserts you above others in power and position, often forcing them to yield to your will. When you assert yourself to such a position, you are usurping the rules and expectations of conduct that most people adhere to (being polite and courteous), and are thus taking this game we call life and bending it to your will, your rules, your desired outcome.

2. Bad behavior in today's society is often rewarded or at least positively reinforced. By positive reinforcement, I mean the textbook definition of it as it relates to psychology: adding or presenting a stimulus which strengthens a response and makes it more likely to recur.

Take the Fort Hood shooter for example. Because of political correctness, the military saw fit to overlook his brazen extremism as expressed in his personal life and in lectures to his fellow personnel while on duty. He espoused sentiments that would've gotten anyone else thrown out of the military, but the military never punished him because they did not want to look bad ejecting a Muslim. So, Malik Hasan was left without any repercussions for his actions, and thus received positive reinforcement of his behavior. He continued to stay in the military and develop his extremist views without any resistance, and eventually went on to kill some 13 people and wound nearly 30 others. Then the media and certain sectors of the public proceed to act completely apologetic and sympathetic towards his murderous behavior, and further reinforce it for him and all others who share his beliefs.

Take this case and multiply it by infinity across the nation in oh so many individual cases, and you have the basis for being a jerk in modern society.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Anyone who thinks being a jerk is good has missed the point. It's a zero sum game.
    You're gonna have to expound upon that conclusion, because I see absolutely no basis for it as I understand it. You can stand to gain with any attitude if you play your cards right.

Hint: leave the F and value judgments behind.