123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Why are people so rude?

Why do people find it acceptable, and even exciting when they or someone else is rude to people?

It is really interesting to see it being accepted and encouraged. Do people feel "free" to act like jerks to other people because they are "behind a monitor" or "far away." Is it normally people who don't actually have the guts to stand up to other people in real life pretending to have the guts to stand up to people online?

I realize there is trolling and I've seen that before. But it appears that some people are actually glorifying rudeness.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with feeling like you don't fit in in real life. An ENFP who get to a forum like this can end up flirting an insane amount, because they have the ability and they are "allowed" because of the ENFP "understanding" here. I've noticed some types aren't expected to be able to reason, and some people play that up and don't make coherent points. Is that the same with types that can lean toward rude - they have to play nice so often in real life that they want an outlet for it here?

I guess the rude people surprise me less than the people who enjoy watching them being rude and encourage it. Is it just "lookit that person has balls OMG!!11"

Thoughts?

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Why do people find it acceptable, and even exciting when they or someone else is rude to people?

It is really interesting to see it being accepted and encouraged. Do people feel "free" to act like jerks to other people because they are "behind a monitor" or "far away." Is it normally people who don't actually have the guts to stand up to other people in real life pretending to have the guts to stand up to people online?

I realize there is trolling and I've seen that before. But it appears that some people are actually glorifying rudeness.

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with feeling like you don't fit in in real life. An ENFP who get to a forum like this can end up flirting an insane amount, because they have the ability and they are "allowed" because of the ENFP "understanding" here. I've noticed some types aren't expected to be able to reason, and some people play that up and don't make coherent points. Is that the same with types that can lean toward rude - they have to play nice so often in real life that they want an outlet for it here?

I guess the rude people surprise me less than the people who enjoy watching them being rude and encourage it. Is it just "lookit that person has balls OMG!!11"

Thoughts?
    Sounds about right.

After all. You can be anything you want on the internet.

Even an asshole.

MBTI
    INXP

It's attention seeking. You get a response if you are rude. And it's without much comeback cos noone can literally punch you.

So it's cowardly and easy. And people notice.

it's trolling (and yes, not tolerated when unacceptable)

In real life in Canberra almost everyone is polite almost all the time. For instance, everyone, from the toughest punk to the nicest old lady will say, "Thank you", as they get off the bus.

The only people I have noticed who are routinely rude here are drug addicts.

And the people I have noticed who are routinely rude on Typology Central are school children who are emotionally and financially dependent on their parents, and who have been invited to this cult without their parents permission.

And being invited here without their parents permission they think they have the permission to be rude.

So this cult has no one to blame but itself for inviting school children to join without the permission of their parents.

MBTI
    INTP

Treat me with respect and I will never be rude. I might tell jokes that rub people the wrong way, but never intentionally rude. If people don't treat me with respect I won't either. Why should I?

I don't understand why people are rude on the internet. Being rude on the net just seems too easy and something only a pussy would do.

Phantonym

In the Internet, in general, I think it is exactly about feeling "free" to do whatever you want anonymously. And I agree that it's mostly people who really don't have the guts to act offline. They see this as an opportunity to release all the bitterness and frustration that is going on in their personal lives or whatever, all the missed opportunities they regret, all the dreams they never pursued that has been accumulated over years and channel it into rudeness. The target can be whoever irks them at that particular time.

And other people who egg them on are exactly the same, only they like to take a more detached role. They still agree with everything that the "spokesperson" is saying but they don't dare to place themselves in the center of it all. Instead, they encourage those people further and by doing so, vent out their frustration through others.
    Last edited by Phantonym; 11-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.

MBTI
    INTP

I've been the target of disproportionately more rudeness than I have dished out. I think I have shown quite a lot of restraint.
    Last edited by LostInNerSpace; 11-19-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: typo

MBTI
    INXP

You guys can report rude posts ya know* We dont always spot them.

*not this one.. hilarious though it seems.

MBTI
    INTP

:yim_rolling_on_the_