User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    ...the potential benefits of anonymity outweigh that cost.
    I think anonymity is psychopathic.

To hide our true self from the world is neurotic.

By revealing ourselves to others, we build trust.

And by revealing ourselves, we discover ourselves.

And by revealing ourselves we become vulnerable. And vulnerability is the very basis of creativity.

And by mutually revealing ourselves, we build empathy.

So the cost of anonymity is trust, self discovery, creativity and empathy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I work with the public and I don't think anyone is ruder here than they are in real life. If anything, they just seem more articulate about it because they have a chance to think before they type.

Honestly, most people are probably frustrated, annoyed, or angry when they seem rude. Others probably think they are being funny - I know I probably appear "rude" at times, but then I think of all of the people on here who just arrogantly bash others and play at "one upmanship" and then I don't feel so bad about my own humanity.

Really, I think some of the most arrogant, "rude" people on this site probably ARE like that in real life. I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but yeah, sometimes debates on here get ugly.

I get tired of the "I'm right because I said so" argument that I see a lot on here, but I equate that less with rudeness, and more with arrogance or insecurity.

I think sometimes people come on-line when they're tired, too, because being on the Internet is a wind-down thing, too. People are less "polite" when they are tired.

I'm not sure exactly who you are pin-pointing, exactly, unless you're referring to the usual NT pranksters and class clowns who are utterly convinced of their own superiority. Sometimes they make me laugh, sometimes they annoy the fuck out of me, but I don't think they're any ruder than other people I encounter in the grocery store.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

And by revealing ourselves we become vulnerable. And vulnerability is the very basis of creativity.

Well, I'm not entirely satisfied with my real self, because it's so lacking in every way. That's why I want to be anonymous. I think that's fair enough... you can't expect everyone to be satisfied enough with what they really are to do anything more than tolerate it, can you? If it weren't for the opportunity for anonymity I got here at first, I might have killed myself. Some people just aren't strong enough to deal with a world founded on trust and empathy. To quote Mithos, "Is it a sin to be weak-hearted? Not everyone's strong, not everyone can stand being despised."

Besides, all I care about is survival and sympathy.

That whole "being rude because I can get away with it attitude" - what strikes me the most about it is that the person *wants* to do it at all, either in RL or online.

If somebody offered me the chance to be a jackass with total impunity, I can't imagine it seeming remotely tempting. I don't avoid bad behaviour out of fear of punishment. I avoid it out of self-esteem. It's unworthy of me. Whether I get away with it or not, *I* still know I've done it, and have to live with the knowledge that I'm a jerk.

No thanks!

So I guess it's people who hate themselves. They need something to project that onto. Or, they know they're a jerk and hate themselves for it, so rather than fix that and stop being one, they choose instead to punish themselves by reinforcing it.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    ISTP

Victory goes to the aggressor.

What are they fighting? Not you... their own pain.

Look past what they can't, be bigger than the weakness of others and theirs will not scathe you.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Victory goes to the aggressor.

What are they fighting? Not you... their own pain.

Look past what they can't, be bigger than the weakness of others and theirs will not scathe you.
    Oh....emotional poetry.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

As much as I appreciate the sentiment of your post (that's not a joke), I have had to deal with at least one e-stalker as a result of not being anonymous, and I have two female friends this is true for as well (for one of these, e-stalker turned real-stalker). If I had ample energy and resources to deal with these problems as they come up, I would not be anonymous here or anywhere else. But not everyone is even capable, sometimes due to neurological problems, of empathy.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    There is no large difference between being online and talking to someone real life, other than them not being able to punch you.
    There is a huge difference between being online and talking to someone real life; the topics you discuss, the way you discuss them, the way you handle opposition, the mental state you're in while engaging in a conversation, the virtual society's impact on your style etc.

The comparison alone would take books to fully expound, and the lack of such sources is very surprising to me.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

"the fuck if I know"

Interesting question tho.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

peekyou.com and other similar sites can be used by e-stalkers and rl-stalkers as well as rude non-stalker types who just want to harass the balls outta ya.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”