User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are people so rude?

Senior Member Array BlahBlahNounBlah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Some people mistakenly think that being rude and mean makes them seem smart, clever and/or funny. :cough:NTs:cough:

Some people mistakenly think NTs are this concerned with how they seem.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

This is all pretty vague. I haven't noticed a lot of rude behavior, but then I don't hang out in the debate threads.

Also sometimes NTs are accused of being rude because they don't couch their opinions in "this is just my opinion, and you have one, too, and that's cool, because I certainly wouldn't want to hurt your feelings, so feel free to ignore it, just my two cents."

Also, sometimes there's a disconnect in senses of humor between types.
    Something Witty

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

I try not to be rude because I don't like mean people.

However, I sometimes can't resist making fun of people when their opinions are just too ridiculous. I would certainly also do this in real life in an appropriate (casual) setting. I hope nobody is offended. But really, you can't say certain things and expect them not to get ridiculed. Really. Otherwise people might start believing those crazy things you're saying. :eek:

I do understand the temptation to be more rude to people online, particularly if you're shy IRL, though it doesn't condone the behaviour.

(not targeted at anyone as I don't have any "enemies" here...well hopefully nobody's harbouring a grudge anyway)
    -end of thread-

om if you are being ruded too often, without change? then you are probably a fuckin prick, no offeense. it's personal. bare midriff?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Do people feel "free" to act like jerks to other people because they are "behind a monitor" or "far away."
    Yes - and they're right, because they ARE free to act like jerks around here without any real life consequences. You seem to understand this, so there's no need to be angry about it or take everything as a personal insult. Luckily, there's one more thing to online environments: it is a lot easier to end a conversation than IRL.

Is it normally people who don't actually have the guts to stand up to other people in real life pretending to have the guts to stand up to people online? I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with feeling like you don't fit in in real life.
    Baseless assumption. People who like to pretend that they're fags may very well be brave and direct IRL. Or perhaps not.

Is that the same with types that can lean toward rude - they have to play nice so often in real life that they want an outlet for it here?
    Some people are much more blunt and assertive here regardless of type, because there are less restrictions in an anonymous medium. An INTJ will just as likely be fired as an ESFP if he tells his boss to fuck off, so if you presume that the former is more likely to be rude online, the explanation lies elsewhere.

Most posters consider this 'thing' a playground, where you can share ideas without having to adhere to social norms otherwise crucial in face to face conversations. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, and it mustn't be taken seriously.

darkened dreams Array labyrinthine's Avatar
    4 sx/sp
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I think a lot of it is just reflecting the snide and shallow behavior commonly seen on television and in movies, with the safety of anonymity. Other times people are just sociopathic.
    This is what I was thinking. I think it is a cultural glorification of rudeness. It is everywhere in the media and people just parrot what they see. There are quite a few celebrities/commentators who's entire shtick is their rudeness, and it catapults them into fame and adoration of many. People sometimes think they are being counter-cultural, but it seems like more of a norm.
    The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas. H.G. WELLS
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. FEYNMAN

If this is monkey pee, you're on your own.SCULLY

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Some people mistakenly think NTs are this concerned with how they seem.
    Case in point.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

The problem is we come online looking for sympathy. And if we give sympathy, we get sympathy. But it only works for those who are the same as us, as sympathy means to feel the same as.

Whereas if we came online looking for empathy, we could find empathy by giving empathy. And fortunately empathy does not mean feeling the same as, so we can empathise with those who are quite different from us.

However sympathy comes naturally while empathy must be practised and learnt.

But as far as I know there is nowhere online where we can practise empathy.

So we continue to limp along on sympathy.

Banned Array

Alwar, could you also post a picture at the exact moment of orgasm?

I'm sorry, was that rude?

Define Rude