User Tag List

123 Last

Ginkgo

Talking "To Be Honest..."

Every time a person tacks the phrase "To be honest" to whatever follows, it irks me. It means that you're probably harboring some inner thought for fear of disclosing too much information. Or maybe it means that you're normally lying, but you're making an exception this time. Either way, it permeates some element of dishonesty. Ironically.

I mean, if someone is being truly genuine, why would they need to say "To be honest.." in the first place? Wouldn't it be less complicated to just utter what your thoughts are and be done with it?

I say we abolish this phrase! :steam:

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I think "to be honest" is building up courage talk- like- a person wants to be confrontational and blunt but they aren't used to it and are scared perhaps so they are saying words to help keep them on track to spit it out and stall for more courage development.

That is what I have noticed from people saying it to me- they are afraid of the confrontation and say that so that they will be accountable to be confrontational- I see the thought bubble as,
    I already said to be honest- so I might as well be frank and be blunt and honest even though it is very uncomfortable and this person is going to be after me now to say it- build up courage build up courage now just say it.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I think "to be honest" is building up courage talk- like- a person wants to be confrontational and blunt but they aren't used to it and are scared perhaps so they are saying words to help keep them on track to spit it out and stall for more courage development.

That is what I have noticed from people saying it to me- they are afraid of the confrontation and say that so that they will be accountable to be confrontational- I see the thought bubble as,
    I already said to be honest- so I might as well be frank and be blunt and honest even though it is very uncomfortable and this person is going to be after me now to say it- build up courage build up courage now just say it.
    To be honest, I agree.

To be honest, I use it before saying something potentially offensive or during a situation which might not call for full disclosure of information. To be honest, I am not completely honest 90% of the time. Being dishonest includes withholding information, reframing the question in some way that benefits your purpose, selecting information to suit the occasion. "To be honest" is therefore, a preface to disclosure which might not benefit the disclosee. Am I honest? Oh no I'm not kakakaka What a great topic!

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by krunchtime View Post
    To be honest, I use it before saying something potentially offensive or during a situation which might not call for full disclosure of information. To be honest, I am not completely honest 90% of the time. Being dishonest includes withholding information, reframing the question in some way that benefits your purpose, selecting information to suit the occasion. "To be honest" is therefore, a preface to disclosure which might not benefit the disclosee. Am I honest? Oh no I'm not kakakaka What a great topic!
    To be honest, I'm not honest.

MBTI
    INFP

I think people, including me, use this phrase just before they are going to say something they might consider another person will find offensive or annoying just like: "To be honest I don't think that shirt will suit you, but that's just my opinion".

I actually don't find that phrase annoying most of the times it is used for being civil while speaking the truth.

MBTI
    INTP

"To be honest" doesn't bother me as much as "JMO," or "just my two cents."
    Something Witty

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    "To be honest" doesn't bother me as much as "JMO," or "just my two cents."
    That's a funny one. It's like saying your opinion isn't worth anything. Why not JMOBF, just my own Ben Franklin.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Riva

To be honest I can never really remember using that phrase ever.
    But my sister uses it a lot and she's a f&%king liar.

MBTI
    ISTP

how can we reach conclusions about others when there are so few conclusions we can make about ourselves?

look beyond their skin to the human
    think beyond their feelings to the past behind them
    listen beyond their words to the meaning around them

if there is one thing I have found true of others, it is that their world is beyond me. for this I am thankful: even after I have circled the world, there still remain many more to explore.