User Tag List

View Poll Results: When I hear, read, watch or otherwise encounter something I don't understand

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more likely to be encouraged than intimidated.

22 91.67%
  • I am more likely to be intimidated than encouraged.

2 8.33%
123 Last

Default When you hear, read, watch or otherwise encounter something you don't understand...

are you more encouraged or intimidated?

Why do you believe that is?

Would you want to change your reaction?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I've noticed a lot of people say they embrace new things and don't fear change, and even rant about people who do, and yet in reality they are themselves, but it's a blind spot.

I don't know if "encourage" is the word I'd use, but it does excite, invigorate and energise me, to encounter something genuinely new to me. If I don't understand it, I become rabidly curious to the point of obsession, until I can feel like I've got the measure of it. Then the obsession cools down, but I remain respectful and appreciative of it, and depending what it is, I might set about wanting to see if I can make *it* understand *me* a bit. Interact, to test my understanding by trying to develop a rapport of some kind.

Edit - No, I wouldn't want to change that. My curiosity defines me.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Encouraged? I prefer to use the word: energized.
    I come across shit all the time. I just research the hell out of it.
    The story of my life. Research.
    If heaven exists, they better have internet access.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ Yeah, I wouldn't use the word encouraged either. If the topic captures my imagination in some way, I am likely to be motivated to pursue an understanding of it. I can get stuck on an endless string of researching topics. One topic just triggers another question

I wouldn't want to change my reaction. I think it's the basis for my love of learning, and I think that's a positive thing. Of course, it can distract me from more practical pursuits at times...
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I either get annoyed or get intrigued. If I'm annoyed, I ignore it. If I'm intrigued, I get more information.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I either get annoyed or get intrigued. If I'm annoyed, I ignore it. If I'm intrigued, I get more information.
    When you say "annoyed", do you mean at yourself for not understanding it? Or at *it* for uh, well, existing and stuff?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    ENTP

Like if its a totally new subject I never knew about, I get really excited. Like how in the world did I miss knowing about that? And than its a frantic rush to find out more about it etc. If I like it, than it's on like donkey kong. If I don't, I was still excited to learn something new, it'll probably come in handy some day.

But if its like a new way to do something kinda trivial? I don't really care. It can be weird, I can take my sweet time to figure out something simple cause its just boring to me.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I'm intimidated by people who come across like they know more than me or actually do.
    But to come across something new, I either ignore it or learn more about it. But I'm probably more intimidated first.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    When you say "annoyed", do you mean at yourself for not understanding it? Or at *it* for uh, well, existing and stuff?
    Both.

Usually I get annoyed at concepts if I see that they just don't matter at all.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well the whole thing would depend on what it is really. If I don't understand something that's got to do with flies I probably wouldn't care less.
    If I don't understand something that's within the topics I fancy I'd be encouraged to look further into it.
    Of course if someone beside me tickles his arse while staring at me I'd be intimidated to understand why he would do such a thing. I'd perhaps run away.