User Tag List

View Poll Results: When I hear, read, watch or otherwise encounter something I don't understand

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am more likely to be encouraged than intimidated.

22 91.67%
  • I am more likely to be intimidated than encouraged.

2 8.33%
First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Both.

Usually I get annoyed at concepts if I see that they just don't matter at all.
    Interesting! If I thought something didn't matter at all, I wouldn't consider it worth getting annoyed at - I'd just shrug and move on!

Sometimes I pretend to get annoyed at something, saying I think it doesn't matter, when secretly I'm actually just frustrated because everyone else seems to think it's important, but I can't see why. So I figure I must be missing something, and then feel stupid, and forever afterwards hold a grudge against that thing, secretly because thinking of it makes me remember feeling stupid. But I make out it's because I think it's BS

That only happens though, when I first hear about it around a bunch of other people who get it, when I don't, and I figure I'm expected to!
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Perhaps being encouraged wasn't quite the right word. Here is the definition though:

encourage-
    1 a : to inspire with courage, spirit, or hope : hearten
    2 : to spur on : stimulate

It seemed like a nice opposite to being intimidated:
    intimidate-
    to make timid or fearful : frighten

Anyways, I am usually encouraged when I encounter something I don't understand...it means I am really going to learn something.

However, when things strike me as actually being nonsense, I shun it. Perhaps that is rationalization for when I am actually intimidated, but somethings really do just strike me as nonsense.

I have a hard time understanding Quantum Information Theory, but I am encouraged by this fact. I have a harder time understanding the Time Cube thing that was posted in the other thread, but I believe it to be nonsense.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INtP

It depends a lot on the nature of the "thing". If it's an intellectual topic, I'll either be energized and excited to learn more, or apathetic. But it won't discourage me. If it's something social in nature, I can be either energized or discouraged (but generally not apathetic). Most of it is likely my expected outcome - if it's something that I have confidence that I can understand (or master), I'll be excited or apathetic. If it's something that I don't have confidence that I can make sense of, I can (but am less likely to) be excited, but the negative response isn't apathy, but frustration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually, if you combine something I don't understand with time pressure, I can panic...which isn't really conducive to learning.

Actually, you just add time pressure to anything almost, and you can make me panic.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I don't feel either intimidated or encouraged. I just keep going, and the meaning will usually crystallize as I digest the info and take in more. If the meaning doesn't crystallize, I generally just forget about it. I'm more about getting the gist of things than laboring over every little detail.

That's just when there are minor points I don't understand, though. If I'm totally in the dark about everything, then I'm likely to lose interest altogether. Or more accurately, I've already lost interest, since my ability to understand is based on how much something interests me.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I usually become intrigued.

MBTI
    SEXY

Definitely encouraged. I will want to find out what gives. It's the reason I know a fair amount about even the most difficult subjects (like quantum mechanics & neurology).
    (removed)

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    are you more encouraged or intimidated?

Why do you believe that is?

Would you want to change your reaction?
    In order:

Encouraged.

I'm an ENFP being presented with something I don't know or understand. Life suddenly has a purpose.

No because then I'd be permanently bored.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

A little bit of both, depending on the situation I guess? I picked "intimidated" though, because that's the way I've been leaning lately.

I love learning, and I'm curious about a lot of things. But, sometimes the amount of information I want to know becomes overwhelming. (Like, um, Japanese.) Sometimes I feel like it's too much, and I'll never be able to do it. Which isn't really true...if I just keep at it, I'll get there eventually.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Both. I worry that others will grasp it so quickly, that I'll get left behind and not get as much as I can out of the subject (which usually happens in political discussions for me. I'm admittedly not geared for politics, and have to focus hard to be interested long enough to get the nuances), *and* I'm excited to have a bright, shiny idea to explore.

I don't think it's possible to change either reaction, and I really have no desire to do so. My curiosity generally overcomes my intimidation.
    I think I think more than you think I think.