12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Virtual Berlin Wall Tours - 20th Anniversary of the Fall

A virtual world based in Germany recreated the Berlin Wall in their virtual Berlin. The avatars are a bit scary but this seems pretty neat.

20 years on, explore the Berlin Wall in Twinity’s virtual Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by 20 years on, explore the Berlin Wall in Twinity’s virtual Berlin
    [Germany] With only days away from the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, how best to mark the occasion? Rebuild it or at least a virtual two kilometer stretch. That’s the approach being taken by Metaversum, the Berlin-based company behind virtual world Twinity, who have constructed a replica section of the wall in-world.

Visitors to Twinity’s virtual Berlin will be able to travel back to 1989 to explore a two km-long, true-to-scale section of the Berlin Wall, from the Reichstag, past the Brandenburg Gate and Potsdamer Platz, ending with a realistic replica of Checkpoint Charlie. Along with the wall itself, visitors can also access various multimedia content, including video and audio guides at seven key points describing the building of the wall, important dates in its history, witness accounts and, of course, the climatic events of 1989. The exhibition is a collaboration between Metaversum, the Berlin Senate and media partner Berlin.de.

Twinity tries to distinguish itself from the likes of Second Life by building exact replicas of well known cities – Berlin, Singapore, with London to follow – and encouraging members to use real names and create realistic-looking avatars. However, despite forging closer ties to the real world, Twinity won’t be immune to the common complaint levied at most virtual worlds, especially by first time visitors, that there seems little to do. Timely exhibitions like the virtual Berlin Wall could help remedy this.

Although the Berlin Wall didn’t fall until the 9th of November, the in-world exhibition opens its doors today.
    I might actually take my kids in. How many people remember the fall?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh yeah, I remember watching the fall on tv and Hasselhoff. All the tears... and the Scorpions. Yeah.

The coolest parts of the wall now are on the east side. All decorated, painted and graffiti. Crumbling and crackling. It's cool. I wonder if that part is in the tour.

Has anyone heard about the huge nature and wildlife conservation project that's taking place all along where the Iron Curtain used to run?

I think it's absolutely amazing, how so many countries have cooperated, to turn something that was a symbol of division and despair into something so positive.

Check it out
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

Sniffles

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The wall is gone ? No way... Why didnt anyone tell me, the solidarity taxes gonna kill me
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    The wall is gone ? No way... Why didnt anyone tell me, the solidarity taxes gonna kill me
    You're kidding, right? They tore that thing down in 1991!

President Reagan? "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." 1987? Four years afterwards? Any of this ringing a bell?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

He is from Germany.. you got that? :P

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    He is from Germany.. you got that? :P
    Yes, I DID get that.

That's why I was so shocked that he didn't know that. How does someone live IN Germany, and manage to miss something like that for 20 years, with all the media coverage and people coming in from East Germany, etc? I mean, I guess if he wasn't in Berlin and really didn't pay attention to the news...

I was thinking, "Geez. I guess Americans aren't the only ones who don't pay attention to what goes on in their own country."

Of course, now that I know it was a joke, I guess it really IS just Americans who can be so oblivious they don't know who the current president is.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Carter?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Carter?
    Well, he was a... fairly recent president, I guess.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm talking to people in a time-warp from 1980, and an old BBS is somehow appearing to be a modern forum.

Okay, quick! Do you know what "Microsoft Windows" is? What speed is your modem? Have you ever heard of an Intel Pentium or Core 2 processor?

If you actually are in 1980, entropie, don't worry. The wall won't be torn down for another 9-10 years. I'm writing from the year 2009.

Oh yeah, and make sure you invest in the American companies Google, Microsoft, Intel, and AOL when you get a chance!