User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Your Utopia

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I think it is only our perception that makes us want to live in some kind of fantasy world. Change your perception and suddenly things are not so bad. Granted it won't stop all the problems humanity faces, so we just have to look for small blessings.
    I don't really see how. I mean, I wouldn't think it was SO bad if it were just easier to get involved in society, or get a minimum wage job and a one-bedroom apartment.

But the way things are is downright unfair and unworkable. People being stuck depending on their parents, not able to find work without a tremendous head start, unfair competition, etc.

Working for a living is one thing. Working like hell just to keep your head above water, which you might not even be able to do, is quite another.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I reject your classes and challenge you to a duel
    You obviously wouldn't exist in my Utopia, so you can't.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I don't really see how. I mean, I wouldn't think it was SO bad if it were just easier to get involved in society, or get a minimum wage job and a one-bedroom apartment.

But the way things are is downright unfair and unworkable. People being stuck depending on their parents, not able to find work without a tremendous head start, unfair competition, etc.

Working for a living is one thing. Working like hell just to keep your head above water, which you might not even be able to do, is quite another.
    Lol .. You are very cute.

Getting involved in society is obtainable if you are willing to make the first move .. You have to get what you want from life and not the other way round. Be it some free evening class, you meet people and make friends.

The job hunting is obtainable if you have the relevant skills. My view on that though is i am more than happy to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. You can get promoted thus better pay.

Finding an apartment though is the shitty part. If it wasn't for my redundancy money, i'd of been in a mess relying on family. It is hard.

We are though only reliant on our parents until we find ourselves in a better place. Our parents want the best for us also.

Working .. Yes i do wonder what it would be like to of been born with a silver spoon in my mouth. However, look at what life has taught us. Look at our coping abilities. Yes life is hard sometimes and occassionally things do seem that they are not working in our favour. But we never learn from the good times, it is the hard times that test us to become better people.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Lol .. You are very cute.

Getting involved in society is obtainable if you are willing to make the first move .. You have to get what you want from life and not the other way round. Be it some free evening class, you meet people and make friends.
    Ah, I see. It's all set up for aggressive people.

The job hunting is obtainable if you have the relevant skills. My view on that though is i am more than happy to start at the bottom of the ladder and work my way up. You can get promoted thus better pay.
    Yeah, but getting a first job without connections is next to impossible. I agree about starting at the bottom, it's just that the bottom is harder to get into than you'd think. These days, I'm competing with college graduates and people with 10x more experience than myself for entry level positions.
    Finding an apartment though is the shitty part. If it wasn't for my redundancy money, i'd of been in a mess relying on family. It is hard.

We are though only reliant on our parents until we find ourselves in a better place. Our parents want the best for us also.
    Yeah. They don't hesitate to take FULL advantage of how inelastic shelter is, do they? I'm just glad they don't do that with food!
    Working .. Yes i do wonder what it would be like to of been born with a silver spoon in my mouth. However, look at what life has taught us. Look at our coping abilities. Yes life is hard sometimes and occassionally things do seem that they are not working in our favour. But we never learn from the good times, it is the hard times that test us to become better people.
    I suppose so. But the thing is, my life isn't hard. I'm depressed precisely because I'm not being challenged by anything in my life, and don't feel as if any options other than stagnating where I am are safe to move towards right now. I like most of the things about my life, which is why I'm so afraid to change anything... but the things I'm missing are major, and it will only get worse over time if I don't fix them. I guess I'll just have to wait for the economy to get better. Maybe there IS a God or something out there who doesn't want me to have a job. Who knows?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Ah, I see. It's all set up for aggressive people.
    I am not an aggressive person but i know what i want so i go and get it .. There are some knock backs but if you change your perspective and view them as challenges as opposed to failures, then you are in a win win situation.

Yeah, but getting a first job without connections is next to impossible. I agree about starting at the bottom, it's just that the bottom is harder to get into than you'd think. These days, I'm competing with college graduates and people with 10x more experience than myself for entry level positions.
    It doesn't work that way here in the UK, but i know in Canada, it is all about connections. Saying that though when i was over there and the bus strike was on. I walked for a hour in -15 to an agency. Since being in the UK they have emailed 4 times asking me if i would be interested in jobs they had lined up .. Very nice pay as well .. And i am just a bank girl.
    Here i have put in 90+ applications and i have 2 interviews this week .. I do believe that everything happens for a reason. I needed this time out to fix me. What have you learned about yourself whilst unemployed?
    What are your qualifications or area of expertise you'd like to go into?

I suppose so. But the thing is, my life isn't hard. I'm depressed precisely because I'm not being challenged by anything in my life, and don't feel as if any options other than stagnating where I am are safe to move towards right now. I like most of the things about my life, which is why I'm so afraid to change anything... but the things I'm missing are major, and it will only get worse over time if I don't fix them. I guess I'll just have to wait for the economy to get better. Maybe there IS a God or something out there who doesn't want me to have a job. Who knows?
    I think there are cycles in our lives that seem to keep on repeating, why? because we didn't learn the lessons we were supposed to.
    I know depression is a killer for the soul .. Been there, done that. There are always options .. It is up to the individual to decide if it is worth the risk .. You have one life and you are going to waste it by stagnating because you feel safe .. If the future confident you saw this, what would he be saying about now?

I don't believe in god .. However i do believe we all have a path in life. Everything happens for a reason.

Negative thinking produces negative results .. What you give to the world, you'll only receive back.

I'll stop preaching now
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ISTP

World revolves around me.

I can be with whoever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want.

Lots of red/yellow/flaming colors in the sky.

Really hot, like, 85-90 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    There are some philosophical arguments supporting the notion that we live in the best of all possible worlds.
    Yah, Leibniz. It would be necessary to accept the idea of a benevolent god for the sake of this theorem...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My utopia? I'd be able to change things at a whim, but I think I'd start out in some apocalyptic scenario and then begin my epic to living out all this crazy stuff I have in my head. No more mundane jobs and living. I'd probably walk around with a sword and slay undead, too. Just for a little bit.

If everyone cared and nobody cried
    If everyone loved and nobody lied
    If everyone shared and swallowed their pride
    Then we'd see the day when nobody died

That pretty much works for me.
    I just threw up a little.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

A $1 sale at Neiman Marcus and I'm the only shopper

If I pray hard enough... Who cares about the world, what about paperoceans?
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

My Utopia would be at a coffeehouse or on a bus with a friend talking about random junk without managing to get many awkward silences (I'm good at making those...).

And all of Saslou's advice is awesome. I learned a lot of that from my first month in Finland. I had to just say: 'Gaw FUCK being nervous, its DO this shit!' and guess what. Shit happened! Good shit, bad shit, both of 'em.

It pays to put yourself in spots of discomfort, my ENFP friend told me before to just test my comfort zone every day in some way, even if it was a small way, and it will go a long way to developing you as a person.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.