User Tag List

123 Last

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Question Getting a U.S. Drivers or motorbike licence

I am looking into lessons soon. As I will either get a car or motorbike to travel America. I would prefer a bike but a car is probably more practical. Does anyone have any idea on the average cost of lessons from beginning to end? I will get a vehical second hand and so I'll look into basic maintenance and upkeep.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

You do not need to take driving lessons to get a driver's license (well, in California anyway). Strangely enough, I paid $0 for mine. The clerk at the DMV forgot to charge me
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    You do not need to take driving lessons to get a driver's license (well, in California anyway). Strangely enough, I paid $0 for mine. The clerk at the DMV forgot to charge me
    Score. But you can't drive? You've convinced me never to visit California with you wild on the road.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, you really only need to know the basics to pass the written exam, and if you can figure out how to operate a car with someone watching, then you can pass the driving portion.

Basically, you don't have to take classes, you just have to prove you know how to drive already. The first time, anyway. After that... you can just renew it before it expires, and you won't have to take the test again for a good while.

I could pass the written portion, but I'm too uncomfortable with a car to pass the other. Meaning, I can theoretically understand the rules of the road and tell when they're being followed/violated, but I don't have the practical ability to deal with actually driving it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, you really only need to know the basics to pass the written exam, and if you can figure out how to operate a car with someone watching, then you can pass the driving portion.

Basically, you don't have to take classes, you just have to prove you know how to drive already. The first time, anyway. After that... you can just renew it before it expires, and you won't have to take the test again for a good while.

I could pass the written portion, but I'm too uncomfortable with a car to pass the other. Meaning, I can theoretically understand the rules of the road and tell when they're being followed/violated, but I don't have the practical ability to deal with actually driving it.
    That sounds so easy. But wait, you guys are all automatic... I'd want to drive manual. I'll have to brush up on the road law and take the written test. Can't wait to tour out yonder.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Score. But you can't drive? You've convinced me never to visit California with you wild on the road.
    Nah, I can. You have to take a driving test in order to get your driver's license. The written part is only half of it. If you past the written, but fail your driving test you do not get your driver's license.

That sounds so easy. But wait, you guys are all automatic... I'd want to drive manual. I'll have to brush up on the road law and take the written test. Can't wait to tour out yonder.
    Some people can drive manual (usually guys do), but you have to take the driving test in your own car (well, in San Diego). I passed the driving test the first time, I did get points off for doing rolling stops at stop signs. I mean, as long as you practice you'll be OK.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Do they donate the license to me, if I know what double-clutching is ?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    yupp

You use your own car and it's mostly a joke, I passed and almost ran over the tester and it was four right turns. and the end. the written part is easy as well.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Some people can drive manual (usually guys do),
    Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    That sounds so easy. But wait, you guys are all automatic... I'd want to drive manual.
    So, what's with the whole "driving manual" thing? Manual gears look extremely inconvienent and archaic compared to automatic, and I think it's only been kept around because guys think it's "macho" somehow.

Why is it considered so "macho" to drive manual? What's appealing about it?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, what's with the whole "driving manual" thing? Manual gears look extremely inconvienent and archaic compared to automatic, and I think it's only been kept around because guys think it's "macho" somehow.

Why is it considered so "macho" to drive manual? What's appealing about it?
    It allows you more control of the car, you can also change gears quicker and the car becomes more responsive, it's like the car is in interaction with you and you become can be a better driver because of it. Machoness is only a by product