User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    I was referencing Americans, not the British. And you don't need a separate driver's license in order to drive an automatic or manual here.
    yeah I know. I was just saying that British people (and indeed, non-Americans in most countries I've been to) mostly drive manual cars, whatever their gender, by way of demonstrating that it's not inherently particularly complicated or a "guy thing". I figured that was obvious, you know? People were asking "what's with the whole manual thing anyway", so I thought it was worth pointing out that, outside of the USA, there's no mystery there. Idea being, by pointing that out, some might think to themselves "o rly? leik mebbe I'll haz a goe den".

are you saying that in the USA, someone who's only learned to drive in an automatic can legally get onto a public road in a manual? that is, a car they've no idea how to control?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    yeah I know. I was just saying that British people (and indeed, non-Americans in most countries I've been to) mostly drive manual cars, whatever their gender, by way of demonstrating that it's not inherently particularly complicated or a "guy thing". I figured that was obvious, you know? People were asking "what's with the whole manual thing anyway", so I thought it was worth pointing out that, outside of the USA, there's no mystery there. Idea being, by pointing that out, some might think to themselves "o rly? leik mebbe I'll haz a goe den".

are you saying that in the USA, someone who's only learned to drive in an automatic can legally get onto a public road in a manual? that is, a car they've no idea how to control?
    Well, yes. But technically speaking, they'd know how to put on the brakes and steer, so they'd be unlikely to get into a wreck. They'd likely just tear up the transmission if they didn't know what they were doing. Also, most people would have enough sense to figure out how it worked before getting on the road in it, because if they drove badly enough, they could get their license revoked.

Huh. Well, okay, I guess it's not a guy thing in Europe. Then again, a lot of women in European countries don't even shave their armpits and legs (yikes!), so I guess girl things and guy things are very culturally dependent.

MBTI
    ENTP

culturally dependent doesn't mean they're like, hardwired or something.

it's not just a European thing... I've travelled in 4 continents and it's the same everywhere. I'd say it was more an American thing to fear the manual transmission... lolz
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen