User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Where are you planning on taking the test? It varies from state to state. For instance where I live in Idaho if you've never taken and passed a driver's ed course then you'll have to take a road test (or parking lot test, whatever it is) as well as the written.

If you are going to get ride a motorcycle you'll first need a driver's license. You can take a written test to get a day pass, which basically means you are OK to ride a motorcycle during daylight hours, and (correct me if I'm wrong) you cannot operate them on the freeways.

To get your actual motorcycle endorsement in Idaho you'll have to run a rather stupid motorcycle course, stupid in the sense that it is pretty easy to fail if you are on a bigger, less nimble bike. I'd cringe if I saw anybody trying to navigate it on a Honda Goldwing. But that is just in Idaho, the tests and endorsements aren't mandated on a federal (countrywide) level and are up to the state to decide how to go about it. In my state it is notoriously easy to fail the written tests do to all the dumb arbitrary questions they ask (most don't pertain to the actual operation and laws of the state, trust me it is very very dumb and you'll almost have to get Idaho driver's handbook to study beforehand)

At any rate, phone ahead to the DMV of whichever state you plan on getting licensed in, I am sure they can fill you in on everything you need to do. Also I'm sure they have available all the literature you'll need to study before taking any written tests.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    yupp

I know in memphis I think unless it's changed in recent years can get a motorcyle licensne at 15
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, what's with the whole "driving manual" thing? Manual gears look extremely inconvienent and archaic compared to automatic, and I think it's only been kept around because guys think it's "macho" somehow.

Why is it considered so "macho" to drive manual? What's appealing about it?
    Hell, I haven't a clue. The only good thing about being able to drive manual is that they're cheaper than automatic vehicles.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    So, what's with the whole "driving manual" thing? Manual gears look extremely inconvienent and archaic compared to automatic, and I think it's only been kept around because guys think it's "macho" somehow.

Why is it considered so "macho" to drive manual? What's appealing about it?
    Its about 10x easier to do a burnout in a manual. You punch the gas pedal, and dump the clutch and them tires (or your clutch plate) goes spinning.

That and there are some instances where having a clutch is nice... I've been in automatics that I wish had downshifted two gears instead of one when trying to pass somebody on the open road.

But overall, I've driven manuals all my life and I'm ready to drive an automatic. Makes it so much easier to text and eat a sandwich whist driving.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Some people can drive manual (usually guys do)

I read when I took my driver's licence that in the UK, less than 10% of drivers have an automatic only licence. It's really not hard at all. Most 17* year old girls here manage it, so I've no idea why it's seen as a "guy thing" or a "complicated thing" over there. And it gives you much better control over the car, and personally I think anything that gives you more control over a potential killing machine is a good thing.

Here's a website that weighs the pros and cons from an American POV.

To say it's "archaic" seems to me like say, those machines that you see on sci-fi movies, that mad scientists like Doc Brown invent, like those 'getting up machines' that ring your alarm and make your coffee and feed your dog and all that stuff, but which actually take longer and do a worse job of it than if you just did it yourself, manually. To say the manual gear-box is archaic seems to me like saying making your own coffee is archaic, we should all use time consuming, inefficient and inaccurate machines instead, just cos they're there.

*that's the min age you can drive on a public road in the UK
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

I read when I took my driver's licence that in the UK, less than 10% of drivers have an automatic only licence. It's really not hard at all. Most 17* year old girls here manage it, so I've no idea why it's seen as a "guy thing" or a "complicated thing" over there. And it gives you much better control over the car, and personally I think anything that gives you more control over a potential killing machine is a good thing.

To say it's "archaic" seems to me like say, those machines that you see on sci-fi movies, that mad scientists like Doc Brown invent, like those 'getting up machines' that ring your alarm and make your coffee and feed your dog and all that stuff, but which actually take longer and do a worse job of it than if you just did it yourself, manually. To say the manual gear-box is archaic seems to me like saying making your own coffee is archaic, we should all use time consuming, inefficient and inaccurate machines instead, just cos they're there.

Well, over here, we don't have separate driver's licenses for automatic and manual that I know of.

But you're a guy. Of course you think Manual makes more sense.

And by the way, I LOVE those Doc Brown machines that do stuff for you. If I had my way, I would live in a house full of them.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

I was referencing Americans, not the British. And you don't need a separate driver's license in order to drive an automatic or manual here.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

well even within the USA different subcultures really prefer manuals or automatics. in my experience living in the USA, i saw almost entirely manuals because of the cultures i was in.

TickTock, if you are going to see america the way to do it is either by motorcycle or covertible. that is my opinion. it is just that being on the open road in an open vehicle.... the sensation of it is great!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Yea man, just buy a vespa. They're super cute

Problem solved.

Read my Blog.

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Yea man, just buy a vespa. They're super cute

Problem solved.
    Haha that was what my mum used to rock. Would love to do it that way Kingfisher, but may have to bed down for the night and would appreciate a hard top at that time. I'll see though, deep down I'd prefer a road bike.

Ah yes Willfrey I will visit the DMV. A.S.A.P.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~