User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Things to Acquire Before Moving Out of Your Parent's Place

I'm hoping to move out by the end of winter semester (April) and would like to be reasonably stable in terms of what I need so I don't have an initial splurge required.

Can we make a list? Preferably, a need vs. wants list? I know a lot of "necessary" things can be worked around. Ideas how to work around not having something is also great.

What do you need for a basic:
    kitchen?
    living room?
    Bathroom?
    Laundry equipment?
    work space for studying?
    dining room?
    cleaning supplies? (what are the basics required? what can be worked around by using an all-purpose?)

what are some cooking ingredients that everyone should have?

what are some non-essentials that should be considered to make life easier?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Kitchen -
    Silverware, cereal bowls, plates, big plastic glasses, tang, can opener, bottle opener, blender, microwave.
    Living room -
    Couch, coffee table. Tv's are overrated.
    Bathroom -
    Toilets and showers are good.
    Laundry equipment-
    Sinks and linedry!
    Work Space for Studying -
    See living room
    Dining Room -
    See living room
    Cleaning Supplies -
    Simple Green, vacuum, dish soap, windex, Pledge, febreeze and candles!

Have fun! I need to move out one of these days... I think I am going to wait till I can move cross-country though!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

kitchen-a few standard pots and pans, a colander is always a good idea. I didn't buy one when i first moved out, so straining stuff like mac and cheese noodles and stuff became a difficult task! Silverware, some plates. Microwave, if your place doesn't come with one. Cups or glasses. Heck my boyfriend and i still buy plastic cups, utensils and plates because i'm too damn lazy to do the dishes.
    a trashcan is a must. I suggest a bigger trash can if you are lazy, otherwise you have to take it out often. A few sharp knives are good to have around.
    dish towels. a dish drainer thing if you don't have a dish washer.

living room-sitting places and if you eat in your living room, like i do, a place to eat, we eat at the coffee table, in front of the 50 inch flat screen plasma. lol. The coffee table also works as a place to set other stuff, like the remotes and the 12 library books i've been reading.

bathroom-shower curtain, shower curtain liner, towels, wash rags if you use them. toilet paper. plunger. small trashcan.

laundry-washer, dryer, laundry soap, bleach, dryer sheets. thats all i ever use. I don't iron clothes or anything, but if you are into that then an ironing board and an iron might be necessary. I would suggest about 2 medium sized laundry baskets.

workspace for studying- the coffee table works! or you could always buy a small desk if you don't study at your computer. My computer is all i've ever needed to study.

dining room-never had one of those, but i would imagine that you need a table of some sort and some chairs.

cleaners-i use a windex all purpose cleaner for almost everything. you would need dish soap for dishes and i suggest something strong for the toilet and something that gets rid of mildew for the shower and other bathroom surfaces. you might want a broom and a mop.

cooking ingredients everyone should have-salt, pepper and other seasonings. Keep meat frozen in the fridge until you need it. condiments, bread, milk etc.

definitely a dishwasher. my apartment came with a dishwasher, the fridge, the microwave and the oven, so that was nice, i couldn't imagine having to buy those things.

i don't know how much help i've been, but hopefully a little bit. i'm sure i've left off very important things.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You can make your own household cleaners at a fraction of the cost of buying a bunch of chemicals to spray everywhere. Harness the power of pH cleaning! I do most of my cleaning with vinegar (mild acid), baking soda/borax (mild bases-- washing soda is a bit stronger if you need it), and essential oils for disinfecting. I make an all-purpose kitchen cleaner with 2 cups of club soda, a tsp of liquid soap, a tsp of borax, and a half-tsp of whatever essential oil I have on hand. Many of them are antiseptic. Tea tree oil is probably the best (it kills mold and fungus as well as bacteria), and you can even get it in the pharmacy at Wal Mart nowadays. Baking soda or borax might leave a film on countertops or chrome fixtures but that's easily removed with vinegar. Baking soda mixed with some water to form a paste makes a good gentle scrub for the tub, and a vinegar rinse on the fixtures. Sometimes a clogged drain responds to a generous dump of baking soda followed by vinegar.

Equal parts vinegar, alcohol, and water will clean windows better than Windex IMO. (First I tried just using vinegar/water and it was streaky.) Newspaper is a good wiping agent. If you don't subscribe to a paper (who needs a newspaper when you have the internet?) then junk mail on non-glossy newsprint will do, or you can just grab a short stack at the recycling center to keep on hand for windows.

The one compromise I make is using Clorox disposable toilet brushes, but frankly, the results are no better than when I used a regular brush and baking soda. It just means I don't have to keep a disgusting toilet brush around. (Certain members of my household who are under three years old are liable to use it for a hairbrush.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You can make your own household cleaners at a fraction of the cost of buying a bunch of chemicals to spray everywhere. Harness the power of pH cleaning! I do most of my cleaning with vinegar, baking soda/borax, and essential oils. I make an all-purpose kitchen cleaner with 2 cups of club soda, a tsp of liquid soap, a tsp of borax, and a half-tsp of whatever essential oil I have on hand. Many of them are antiseptic. Tea tree oil is probably the best (it kills mold and fungus as well as bacteria), and you can even get it in the pharmacy at Wal Mart nowadays. It might leave a film on chrome fixtures but that's easily removed with vinegar. Baking soda mixed with some water to form a paste makes a good gentle scrub for the tub, and a vinegar rinse on the fixtures. Sometimes a clogged drain responds to a generous dump of baking soda followed by vinegar.

The one compromise I make is using Clorox disposable toilet brushes, but frankly, the results are no better than when I used a regular brush and baking soda. It just means I don't have to keep a disgusting toilet brush around. (Certain members of my household who are under three years old are liable to use it for a hairbrush.)

Equal parts vinegar, alcohol, and water will clean windows better than Windex IMO. (First I tried just using vinegar/water and it was streaky.) Newspaper is a good wiping agent. If you don't subscribe to a paper (who needs a newspaper when you have the internet?) then junk mail on non-glossy newsprint will do, or you can just grab a short stack at the recycling center to keep on hand for windows.

just don't mix ammonia and bleach. the fumes it sends off is not nice. i think its chlorine gas and could be deadly. i accidentally mixed them once. my throat ached for days.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    You can make your own household cleaners at a fraction of the cost of buying a bunch of chemicals to spray everywhere. Harness the power of pH cleaning! I do most of my cleaning with vinegar (mild acid), baking soda/borax (mild bases-- washing soda is a bit stronger if you need it), and essential oils for disinfecting. I make an all-purpose kitchen cleaner with 2 cups of club soda, a tsp of liquid soap, a tsp of borax, and a half-tsp of whatever essential oil I have on hand. Many of them are antiseptic. Tea tree oil is probably the best (it kills mold and fungus as well as bacteria), and you can even get it in the pharmacy at Wal Mart nowadays. Baking soda or borax might leave a film on countertops or chrome fixtures but that's easily removed with vinegar. Baking soda mixed with some water to form a paste makes a good gentle scrub for the tub, and a vinegar rinse on the fixtures. Sometimes a clogged drain responds to a generous dump of baking soda followed by vinegar.

Ivy you are a genius. And LOL to the hairbrush comment. i don't know if you're talking about a little girl or guy but I had this image of a very pree-tty gurl with a big smile just running the bacteria-laden wand through her lovely hair.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    just don't mix ammonia and bleach. the fumes it sends off is not nice. i think its chlorine gas and could be deadly. i accidentally mixed them once. my throat ached for days.
    I've solved that problem by not using either. <-- a punk Martha Stewart
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    pH of extremely acidic ammonia and extremely basic bleach do not mix. that has been filed away thx.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    intj

To add to Ivy's tour de force, boiling water and baking soda are the best for clearing drains.

Otherwise, I think you need a toaster that admits bagels, a vacuum cleaner, and either matches or a lighter, and a lint brush. Also, note the measurements of your a/c filter and change it monthly.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    pH of extremely acidic ammonia and extremely basic bleach do not mix. that has been filed away thx.
    Ammonia is basic ( NH3 + H2O ---> NH4OH )

Edit: mustard gas is what you get with ammonia and bleach, pop and bleach though give you the chlorine gas.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]