User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Why not just move the parents out instead? Saves on having to purchase things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Kitchen: A good mix of pots and pans. You may be able to stretch with only 1, but it's much easier to get a baking sheet, low sided pan, and larger pot. For dishes, just bringing 2-3 or so of various sizes and types of dishes and silverware works fine, you can adapt different types of dishes to different types of foods pretty easily. A Microwave helps, but isn't needed if you pick the right foods. For washing dishes, get some sort of wash cloth, rag, or sponge (Preferably a sponge with a harder side, this will cover just about everything), some sort of soap material will be needed to clean some types of food unless you wash dishes very quickly after using them.

Living Room: Lamps are useful depending on the amount of light you have, otherwise just bring whatever optional furniture you want in a living room.

Bathroom: Toothbrush, something to clean toilets with, a shower curtain (You just need one to if you take showers to keep water from coming out.), body washing materials (washcloth, soap, etc.)

Laundry: Something to carry the laundry, plus most likely detergent (Which may not be a need, but it helps). This also depends on the type of laundry system you will have, you may need coins, for example. It is probably possible to clean some clothes without using a washing machine, though I have never done so and it would likely take a lot of time.

Work Space: Computer, place to put paper, pens, etc. A good light source helps a lot ("good" in the sense of more comfortable.), this depends on what sort of light you prefer. Staplers, pencil sharpeners, printer paper, writing paper, notebooks, place to store important document type papers are all useful.

Dining Room: See kitchen mostly. Any space you can sit down and eat will make a perfectly fine "dining room", except for on a computer.

Cleaning: Dish soap can be used for most cleaning (At least it works for me), something to wipe with (sponge, rag, washcloth) will most likely be needed with the soap. Some sort of dry rag or towel will most likely be needed also (To wipe up dirty water). Paper towels, toilet paper, and kleenexes can be used interchangeably except for paper towel jobs with lots of liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    pH of extremely acidic ammonia and extremely basic bleach do not mix. that has been filed away thx.
    Ammonia in water is basic, unless household ammonia has some other acid mixed in. (Though you still shouldn't mix them together.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scantilyclad
    just don't mix ammonia and bleach. the fumes it sends off is not nice. i think its chlorine gas and could be deadly. i accidentally mixed them once. my throat ached for days.
    I think it's chloramine (ammonia with a chlorine substituted for a hydrogen), though the gases will be poisonous either way.

MBTI
    INTJ

Kitchen: pot/pan set, dishes set, glasses, small utensils (fork/spoon/knife), large utensils (spatula, big spoon, spaghetti fork, etc - can usually get in a crock of some sort), can/jar/bottle openers, toaster, microwave. If you don't have a dishwasher you'll need a dish drying rack. Kitchen towels, dish(washer) soap.
    (ETA - a good cookbook and spice set will serve you well, though isn't a necessity)

Living room: seating (chairs, couch, etc). Though I have a dining room, I use foldable tv trays in the living room to eat. If you have a TV/DVD collection, you'll need storage for your collection.

Bathroom: shower curtain, plunger, towels.

Miscellaneous: vacuum and broom, cleaning supplies (great ideas already listed), hangers, hampers/laundry bags (I have a big hamper for dirty clothes, a small at-the-hip for taking them out of the dryer)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Ammonia is basic ( NH3 + H2O ---> NH4OH )

Edit: mustard gas is what you get with ammonia and bleach, pop and bleach though give you the chlorine gas.
    forgot to add water to my NH3!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    forgot to add water to my NH3!
    At room temperature ammonia is a gas in the first place so for us to use it we have to dissolve it in water first. Any "ammonia" we use is really ammonium hydroxide.

Edit: an entertaining side note would be a system below -33C where the solvent is ammonia and you add some water ice to it then through self ionization you'd still get ammonium hydroxide, but it would be an acid in that system instead.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    At room temperature ammonia is a gas in the first place so for us to use it we have to dissolve it in water first. Any "ammonia" we use is really ammonium hydroxide.
    To continue with the "chemistry of cleaning materials" episode of this threat, Ammonia is a pretty weak base in the sense of how much reacts with water, so it still will mostly be NH3 in water, though it will still be basic.

In general, NH3 will be an extremely weak acid if it behaves as such (NH2 and amide ions are apparently quite strong bases and used to get some odd stuff ionized that would not act as acids in water.)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've solved the "what not to mix" problem with a weird obsession with Clorox wipes- makes cleaning much easier! (yeah- I have a few other cleaning supplies, but that's my favorite!)

get a plastic (easier to wash and avoid food poisoning and such) cutting board if you plan on cooking much, you can live without a microwave if necissary (I did for a year!), measuring cups and spoons make cooking quite a bit easier, tupperware containers! (even the Ziploc type are awesome!), mugs, cookie sheets, wine glasses

I've always had the good (or sad) fortune of relatives getting married or dying before I move so I end up getting everything I need for free- which is good since I definitley couldn't afford everything I have!

good luck!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

A boyfriend.

MBTI
    yupp

What pretty much everyone else said. I also like having canisters to store sugar flour rice and coffee in. that's what I use, I prefer ones with a latch I got them pretty cheap at Big Lots. If you have one near you. You should go they have alot of neat stuff, as well as Tuesday Mornings.

(on a side note: does anyone else ever feel like Butters from South Park when they say neat?)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What do you need for a basic:
    kitchen? 2 medium pots. 1 huge pot. 1 strainer. 1 medium frying pan. Stirring spoons, spatula, utensils/plates/cups/bowls, can-opener, whatever gadgets you may want. Tupperware. Some half decent knives and at least one cutting board. Microwave (actually now that I think of it, I literally never use mine) Toaster!

living room? a couch, a coffee table, a tv

Bathroom? uh...nothing? shampoo and etc?

Laundry equipment? washer and dryer. Iron. soap. dryer sheets if you want. laundry basket.

work space for studying? I use my bed. You may want a desk.

dining room? nothing, I eat elsewhere.

cleaning supplies? (what are the basics required? what can be worked around by using an all-purpose?) something to mop floors with, something to wash dishes with, something to wash windows with, something to wash surfaces with. Also a mop, broom, cloths etc.

what are some cooking ingredients that everyone should have?

on the most basic level: spices, rice, dry pasta, chicken stock, cooking oil.
    more: curry paste, olive oil, cheese, vegetables, eggs, dried noodles, canned vegetables/fruit/beans/tomatoes, lentils, milk, flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, corn starch, vinegar

what are some non-essentials that should be considered to make life easier?
    you can pretty much work this out for yourself once you move in...some things will really annoy you, so fix them. Set aside a good chunk of money for this from the beginning and you'll be fine.

for me: (most of this can be gotten at 2nd hand/garage sales, if you're cheap like me)
    -muffin pan
    -cookie sheet
    -cooking spray
    -cheese grater
    -multiple pots and frying pans of various sizes
    -wok
    -more stirry things (spatulas, wooden spoons, etc), more cutting boards, more tupperware, more everything
    -lamps, clocks, chairs
    -kettle and/or coffeemaker - a cordless one is so worth it!
    -huge mixing bowls
    -more pantry stuff - that's what I spent the most on when I moved in
    -if you throw parties, wine/shot/martini/cocktail glasses

I just moved out in July so I just went through all this, though luckily I had my housemates to help with all the purchases. The kitchen was the worst, by far....but that's cause I love cooking so I need want lots of stuff.