User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

"My precious!"

The cardinals have to wrasel him to get his palple rings off every night.

J/K Catholics, but I did like John Paul better.
    Love is the point.

Sniffles

You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not that surprised.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Plenty of Christians think that Halloween is "satanic." I personally think that opinion is ignorant, yet I'm not surprised in the least that the Pope - or a number of other conservative, fundamentalist Christians - disapprove of Halloween.

Though I am wondering about all of those Catholics who religiously celebrate the day of the dead on November 1.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not that surprised.
    Please, elaborate.
    Love is the point.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Also, I personally have never felt inclined to do anything that would actually be "evil" on Halloween.

A lady in the grocery store was yammering about how satanic Halloween is last night. I wanted to say, "No - you know what's evil? The war in Iraq. That's fucking evil. So put on a costume, grab some candy apples, and stop being such a dumbass."

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Please, elaborate.
    First off, Halloween is a Catholic based holiday in relation to All Souls' Day. Nowhere in that article or anyother report on this is it stated that the holiday is "banned". Rather it states that the Vatican is showing concern how the holiday has become one that glorifies the occult and urges parents to redirect the focus of the holiday. What exactly is the big deal?

And the Telegraph is notorious for misrepresenting Catholic positions. I still remember years ago when a Cardinal stated that the Bible isn't to be taken literally, and misrepresented it saying that the Catholic Church claims the Bible isn't true. Nevermind the Church has always taken a more allegorical approach to scriptures.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

I always welcome a sane Catholic prespective. The media is blantantly renouned for putting spin on a story to make it more exciting.

Some say they're left wing, some say they're right wing, I say they are sensationalists and they need some honest, yet entertaining competition.
    Love is the point.

Sniffles

For more information: All Hallows Eve, All Souls and All Saints Day - Halloween's Christian Roots.

Here's another good basic outline of its history within the Catholic tradition, with this at the end:
    "Scary costumes remain the historical norm for Halloween, though the advent of more sinister and violent times has encouraged many parents to take a gentler approach. Today many families, and even parishes, hold group celebrations, often with costumes of the saints, the poor souls or famous Catholics (such as the Pope, Mother Teresa or the like) and other elements which re-enforce the Christian side of Halloween's origins."
    This is most likely what the Vatican has in mind in regards to Halloween. Not that the holiday is bad per se, but that it needs to be reconnected with its Christian roots - with the above examples given.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thanks for the links, Peguy. Very interesting. I'm also relieved to find that there are suggestions for celebrating Halloween instead of any sort of blanket statement declaring it "satanic."

MBTI
    ESFJ

It would be one thing if a fundamentalist Protestant sect were coming down on Halloween, but the Vatican? They (and the Eastern Orthodox churches) are the goofiest, most ritualistic, pagan-influenced sect in all of Christianity. I should know. I was an altar boy for four years. Everyone involved in the Mass was dressed up in a fruity costume 52 weeks a year.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"