First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

^ A man who can pass the pagan trivial pursuit

Very true, the Celtic New Years is celebrated on Samhain, also known as Halloween because our beloved christians
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Didn't Easter originate from a fertility festival? AKA = "Orgy" of some kind? Here bunny, bunny, bunny! Drop some eggs! :horor:
    Orgies are traditionally done on Beltane and..*drumroll please*..Halloween! Ostara is the awakening of spring and the mating dance, however, Beltane is time for abundance, marriage and pregnancy/fertility, whereas Samhain/Halloween is considered a time for renewal, beginning and honoring the dead...by creating new life of course!

Ergo: According to old customs, on these two days, all marital bonds are off, and in the name of fertility, you can sleep with whoever you want.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

And I always thought that Christianity was a "...celebration of terror, fear and death."

I'm glad the Pope set that straight.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    LOL.

This from the institution that made halloween in a christian thing aka All Hallow's Eve.

Actually, according to myth, this is the night that the Veil to the Other World is thin and our beloved can come and visit us, crossing that veil. Of course, the same goes for otherworldly creatures. It's considered one of the most potent pagan festivals...
    So you agree with the Vatican then?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So you agree with the Vatican then?
    In essence...yup
    Though I don't agree with their fearmongering. You don't see pagans freaking out coz a bunch of christians decide to celebrate our festivals

As far as I'm concerned, if you celebrate it from an attitude to have fun, and assign no meaning to it, it's going to be just that, to you. For me, as a pagan, I'll celebrate it in a different way, because it has meaning to me. The christians that wanna celebrate it with meaning, can do so according to christian tradition, by visiting the graves of their loved ones on November 1st.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

^Strangely, I find myself in agreement...
    But yeah, that's my viewpoint on it.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Hey, why the 'strangely'! I have good points, you should agree with me more often!
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Christians around here aren't quite as crazy as CBN (although I know Christians who do believe in demonic involvement in all aspects of culture, including Halloween), but they'll still often get rid of Halloween celebration and just throw a positive All Saints Day party or something on Nov 1.

Yes, the current slew of holidays are just absconded from old pagan holidays. The winning predominate religion/philosophy does this when it becomes dominant ... rather than fighting the indigenous beliefs, it tries to absorb and subvert them; it's just easier to control things that way. If some other religion took over western culture, it would do the same thing to the current establishment. I have a pretty utilitarian outlook on things, then, here; none of the holidays are "wrong" in nature, they are all just tools in someone's dominance.

I guess I'm just tired of an authority telling its members what they should do. Give people guidance and information, but let them think for themselves.

You'd still be surprised at how many Pentecostals and similar types I know and churches I've gone to where demonic involvement is talked about openly -- when someone gets sick, it's because of demonic influences, when someone loses their job, it's a direct part of spiritual warfare, when children disobey their parents, the demons are influencing them, etc., and people "pray against it." And these aren't illiterate backwoodsy types, these are middle-class professionals and techheads of all ages, and their families.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

^heh. (at amar, naughty jennifer for sneaking in)

Yeah, I've never understood the freaking out about festivals combining or things like that. People are people, and things appeal across religious beliefs. Thanks for sharing Amar!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    ^heh. (at amar, naughty jennifer for sneaking in)
    it wasn't me, it was the demons that made me post!

^^ help!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft