User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 29

  1. #1
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default Top Horror movies

    Seeing as how we're so close to Halloween, I want to see a list of some good horror/thriller movies. What are your favorites/best?

    I would say my two favorite are:

    The Shining
    The Others

    There are other great ones, but these two stick out in my mind. How about you?

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Copied (yet again!) from a post @ INTPc:

    The Greatest IMHO (approximate chronological order):

    The Phantom of the Opera
    Dracula
    The Wolf Man
    Frankenstein
    Freaks
    Les Diaboliques
    Psycho
    The Haunting
    Night of the Living Dead
    Rosemary's Baby
    Jaws
    Black Christmas
    The Exorcist
    Carrie
    Suspiria
    Halloween
    Alien
    The Shining
    An American Werewolf in London
    Poltergeist
    The Thing
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Hitcher
    Evil Dead II
    Silence of the Lambs
    Candyman
    Se7en
    Scream
    Session 9
    The Ring

    Probably some others I can't think of (not The Others, even though that was pretty good). The Descent was pretty good for a recent one, as was Wolf Creek.

  3. #3
    Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Anything on the Lifetime channel.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

  4. #4
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    I like horror and watch alot of it, but most of it's junk. I wouldn't recommend the vast majority.

    Also, I would argue that Evil Dead II is *NOT* horror, but comedy.



    For one that's highly underrated though, Blair Witch Project 2 was actually good. Not the original, the sequel. It was a really good psychological thriller like american psycho, where by the end of it yeu're not even really 100% sure whot actually happened, and how much of whot yeu saw really occurred, and how much was imagined.

    Blood and guts and gore and such is like... meh. Alright so it's messy, great. Ew. So my stomach feels a little ill, but it's not like it's scary watching someone explode, just messy. It's when it gets into yeur brain and does the whole 'mindfuck' thing, as that's the only real term I know to describe it. Those're the really scary ones which last the longest.

  5. #5
    Badoom~ Skyward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,087

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I like horror and watch alot of it, but most of it's junk. I wouldn't recommend the vast majority.

    Also, I would argue that Evil Dead II is *NOT* horror, but comedy.



    For one that's highly underrated though, Blair Witch Project 2 was actually good. Not the original, the sequel. It was a really good psychological thriller like american psycho, where by the end of it yeu're not even really 100% sure whot actually happened, and how much of whot yeu saw really occurred, and how much was imagined.

    Blood and guts and gore and such is like... meh. Alright so it's messy, great. Ew. So my stomach feels a little ill, but it's not like it's scary watching someone explode, just messy. It's when it gets into yeur brain and does the whole 'mindfuck' thing, as that's the only real term I know to describe it. Those're the really scary ones which last the longest.
    My ENTP friend likes the stupidity of 'Gore Horror' like Hostel or Saw.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

    This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

    Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

  6. #6
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    My ENTP friend likes the stupidity of 'Gore Horror' like Hostel or Saw.
    Oh I didn't say I didn't like it, I just said that I don't consider it scary. I don't consider them horror at all.

    There's a few small things that do bother me deeply though, but they aren't gore related oddly enough.

    For example, let's say yeu saw the silent hill movie, and that annoying girl gets her skin torn off and thrown at the people. That is gore. I don't really find it bothering at all, mildly amusing, but kinda stupid.

    If yeu have someone held up by their neck, by someone much larger, who just snaps their neck with their thumb, and they go limp, that would bother me pretty badly despite it being far more subtle imagery.

  7. #7
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    I like far out psychedelic/ mind fuck horror this includes Evil Dead II (yeah I know its comedy too, nevertheless it works) and HellRaiser I and II (most people prefer I but I like II better.

    As far as honorable mention mind fuck horror: the newer Korean/Hong Kong horror genre is quiet unnerving and raw/cutting edge. However they incorporate a lot of torture porn/gore horror along with a sort of cinematographic poetry...so not for the feint of heart or weak of stomach.


    For example the first short "Three...Extremes (2005)in the Hong Kong's Fruit Chan directs "Dumplings," in which an aging actress's obsession with recapturing her youth leads to an unnatural diet. Streaming video via Netflix. First horror that has unnerved me in a long time.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

  8. #8
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Oh I didn't say I didn't like it, I just said that I don't consider it scary. I don't consider them horror at all.
    Saw was rather stupid, but Hostel was disturbing. Maybe it was the goofy machinations in the Saw movies that made it feel more processed and less real; with Hostel, I felt like I was watching actual snuff films, and people were entirely treated as disposable meat, with torture and pain-infliction being among the primary motivations of its villains. It was pretty sadistic.

    I think the British version of "The Descent" is pretty unnerving too. Aside from the occasional camp of the creatures (and rational faux pas, like an entire community of albino cave dwellers being supportable by that ecosystem), it's just a pretty relentless exploration of comraderie/darkness in the psyches of women... The futility is heart-rending, especially in light of the last dream sequence.

    Both had a lot of gore, but I did not think "gore" was the primary hallmark, it just added to the bleakness of tone.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #9
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    I'm looking through my movie collection, and I've realized that my collection of horror movies consists solely of zombie movies :/ I think I need to diversify.

    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    As far as honorable mention mind fuck horror: the newer Korean/Hong Kong horror genre is quiet unnerving and raw/cutting edge. However they incorporate a lot of torture porn/gore horror along with a sort of cinematographic poetry...so not for the feint of heart or weak of stomach.


    For example the first short "Three...Extremes (2005)in the Hong Kong's Fruit Chan directs "Dumplings," in which an aging actress's obsession with recapturing her youth leads to an unnatural diet. Streaming video via Netflix. First horror that has unnerved me in a long time.
    Oh yeah, I've seen a few of these movies, and they're really eerie. Many of them are a bit much even, but I'm fond of some of Takashi Miike's work (Box in Three Extremes, Imprint--an episode of Masters of Horror)
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  10. #10
    Ghost Monkey Soul Vizconde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    ^Ôdishon (1999) aka "Audition" is good too [caveat violent and disturbing]. Odd how in general violent/gory/twisted Asian horror seems much more intelligent than most of the Hollywood stuff of the same ilk (i.e. Saw series with plot holes one could drive a truck into)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] Types in a Horror Movie
    By Chanaynay in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-03-2014, 11:03 PM
  2. [Enne] Enneagrams expressed via horror movie monsters
    By Azure Flame in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM
  3. Do A Certain "Type" of People Like Horror Movies?
    By Thalassa in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
  4. [ISFP] Why I'm a total wuss when it comes to horror movies..
    By Dali in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO