User Tag List

First 123 Last

Phantonym

I'm not sure whether David Lynch's Eraserhead could be categorized as horrific but I found it...hmm...interesting...to say the least.

Horror movies amuse me. I can't recall a "horror" movie that has been the least bit scary to watch since I was a kid. Back then, Hellraiser, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Rosemary's Baby, Nosferatu and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (a psychological thriller more than a horror move perhaps) were pretty awesome to watch and are the most memorable to this day.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Saw was rather stupid, but Hostel was disturbing. Maybe it was the goofy machinations in the Saw movies that made it feel more processed and less real; with Hostel, I felt like I was watching actual snuff films, and people were entirely treated as disposable meat, with torture and pain-infliction being among the primary motivations of its villains. It was pretty sadistic.

I think the British version of "The Descent" is pretty unnerving too. Aside from the occasional camp of the creatures (and rational faux pas, like an entire community of albino cave dwellers being supportable by that ecosystem), it's just a pretty relentless exploration of comraderie/darkness in the psyches of women... The futility is heart-rending, especially in light of the last dream sequence.

Both had a lot of gore, but I did not think "gore" was the primary hallmark, it just added to the bleakness of tone.
    Oddly enough I haven't seen any of the SAW movies yet... kinda curious but not sure I'd like them. They don't really sound super interesting to me to be honest.

The best stuff makes yeu think though, especially in darker ways.

And the best villains aren't "durr I r teh evul hurp de durp" and just 'evil' because they can be... but because they have a very good reason for it. It's alot scarier to see someone doing horrific things when they really think they're doing the 'right thing', because there are people that really are like that... the ends justify the means to some.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Copied (yet again!) from a post @ INTPc:

The Greatest IMHO (approximate chronological order):

The Phantom of the Opera
    Dracula
    The Wolf Man
    Frankenstein
    Freaks
    Les Diaboliques
    Psycho
    The Haunting
    Night of the Living Dead
    Rosemary's Baby
    Jaws
    Black Christmas
    The Exorcist
    Carrie
    Suspiria
    Halloween
    Alien
    The Shining
    An American Werewolf in London
    Poltergeist
    The Thing
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Hitcher
    Evil Dead II
    Silence of the Lambs
    Candyman
    Se7en
    Scream
    Session 9
    The Ring

Probably some others I can't think of (not The Others, even though that was pretty good). The Descent was pretty good for a recent one, as was Wolf Creek.
    Thanks, good list.

Personally I think 'Halloween' (the movie) is overrated. I mean it's a good thriller but I constantly hear or see it up high in top horror movie lists. I didn't think it was that scary, although it was not bad. I prefer 'Nightmare on Elm Street' and 'Friday the 13th'.

I generally dislike horror movies because they usually aren't good movies. The hit or miss ratio is probably lowest for horror than any genre. That said, there are a few I really like. Some of them probably aren't strictly horror movies, just good movies that are scary.

Alien
    The Exorcist
    28 Days Later
    28 Weeks Later
    Drag Me To Hell
    Nosferatu
    Jaws
    The Blair Witch Project
    Silence Of The Lambs

I also really like the horror elements in M. Night Shyamalan's movies, although none of them can really be called a horror movie.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    ...I also really like the horror elements in M. Night Shyamalan's movies, although none of them can really be called a horror movie.
    True, they're more actually character/ethical dramas that use supernatural elements.

He'd be a lot scarier if he didn't get stuck on expressing his personality and/or ethical value directly, at expense of story. I think think his best was The Sixth Sense (before it got overhyped); except for an occasional "clunk" it was an excellent piece of filmanship and nicely mixed the supernatural with character drama... and the cast pretty much nailed their parts.

Since then, he's just been veering further and further into gimmicks and self-excess rather than putting his considerable skills in service of the actual story, which is a shame. I consider him sort of a has-been... he'll have a nice dragged-out career and probably get to make a number of more movies, but they'll all be rather forgettable.

I think his ghosts actually were pretty unnerving -- obsessive, limited in vision (and thus somewhat terrifying) and.... they actually felt "dead." That girl under the bed still gives me creeps.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I'd like to think that someone who had three movies in a row as strong as "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable" and "Signs" isn't done. I kind of liked "The Village", but "Lady In The Water" and "The Happening" were total woofers.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'd like to think that someone who had three movies in a row as strong as "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable" and "Signs" isn't done.
    If I wasn't a realist, I'd agree with you.

I kind of liked "The Village", but "Lady In The Water" and "The Happening" were total woofers.
    WOOF!
    Sit, Shyamalan, sit.
    Good dog.

... wow, I never even heard of the last one you mentioned.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I'd like to think that someone who had three movies in a row as strong as "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable" and "Signs" isn't done. I kind of liked "The Village", but "Lady In The Water" and "The Happening" were total woofers.
    Personally M Night is my favorite director. His movies are suspensful and thats enough for me. I'm more into the story he tells in all of them. Nothing is really as it seems and thats what I like. I don't like trying to be scared at all.

But I really liked "Lady In The Water". I loved the story plot and how everyone had a specific purpose to get the nymph back home. Man I love it. But I think its because I see it more in a spiritual way than anything else.
    As for his other movies, I love them all...except "The Happening". I was not expecting all that...crap. O.O I think I just about fainted watching that girl shove a pencil in her neck.
    But then again, I cant handle gore or anything like that.

Oh, I know "Children of the Corn" scared the freakin crap outta me.
    Not to mention my dad took me to see "Hannible" when I was...10 I think? What he was thinking, I have no idea. I ran outta there once the bloods and guts hit the floor.

I know, I'm a big baby
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    I

I'm a big fan of Shyamalan too, and it is mainly because of the suspense element. He leaves you guessing, and his films have a lot of paranormal elements in them, I like that. I actually liked 'Signs' a lot more than most other people did.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I'm a big fan of Shyamalan too, and it is mainly because of the suspense element. He leaves you guessing, and his films have a lot of paranormal elements in them, I like that. I actually liked 'Signs' a lot more than most other people did.
    Every year when our grandma comes to visit, we rent 'Signs' and watch it together because we all love it.
    If you're going to watch an M. Night movie, thinking its scary, I think thats what gets alot of people thinking it sucks. He's not really a scary movie person, just suspence like you said. I love the elements he uses. Its perfect for my type of movies.
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.