User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default El Paso, Texas: Do you know anything about this city?

So this is one of the places that I could potentially move to next year and stay until I'm 30ish. Any reflections on a monolingual WASP prairie Canadian girl moving to this city? Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on UTEP/Juarez/cultural/religious stuff (there's probably way more Catholics there?).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    So this is one of the places that I could potentially move to next year and stay until I'm 30ish. Any reflections on a monolingual WASP prairie Canadian girl moving to this city? Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on UTEP/Juarez/cultural/religious stuff (there's probably way more Catholics there?).
    Well, if you're more of a Liberal, I'd advise avoiding the American South altogether.

If you're Conservative, though, then it's probably fine...

El Paso is kind of a rough-hewn city, from what I've heard, since it's so close to Mexico.

I don't know much about it, though, I live in Dallas myself.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

El Paso is nice. i used to live near there, i have been to El Paso lots and lots of times.
    it's safe, low crime, pretty low cost of living. and the weather is amazing. very sunny year round. it is sunny almost every single day of the year. it gets hot in the summer, up to 100 degrees fahrenheit. but it is very dry, so it is not actually as bad as you would think.

it is very dominantly hispanic; mexican culture and mexican people. the large majority of people are hispanic, the population is probably around 85% hispanic. and most people there are bilingual. it's definitely a good idea to learn spanish if you move there, but it's not absolutely necesary. there are people in El Paso who get by fine without knowing any spanish whatsoever. but you will hear spanish constantly in El Paso.
    i don't know what WASP means, by the way.

UTEP is a good school. i mean, i never attended it, so i can't tell you much about it. it is about 20,000 students, i think. it's a pretty big campus, lots of new buildings. it's very close to downtown El Paso, close to the museums, and symphony, etc.

Juarez is very dangerous, but the crime and violence doesn't spill over into El Paso at all. El Paso is very safe.
    Juarez and El Paso are literaly right next door, by the way. the Rio Grande river seperates them, and there is a big fence, but you can drive across bridges back and forth from El Paso to Juarez. there is a toll to cross the bridge, but i think it is about $1.50 for cars, and 25 cents for walking across. so basically nothing.

oh, yes, the Catholic church is the predominant church.
    i don't know. what else can i tell you?

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

^^^I have no idea where you have lived and when in El Paso. I lived there off and on throughout the 90's and 80's.

I don't know if things have changed since then, but I knew it to be very over run with gangs and was known for being the number one drug trafficking city in the U.S- I don't know if it still is or not.

I had family members who lived in really nice neighborhoods who were attacked by gangs there while I was living there and crime was really really bad. They couldn't afford to move away and their business was there so they were stuck for a while but had to live in constant fear. My niece and nephews were not allowed to play in the front yard.

Inlaws of my sister's inlaws were attacked by gangs and they lived in the rich neighborhoods. There was gun fire and everything and major property damage- so bad that the in-laws of my sister ended up moving away and lost tons of money in property damage and things being stolen.

I remember graffiti being everywhere and trash everywhere. I lived in apt complexes there- and not the worst ones either, I would say middle quality and I had to always be very careful. I remember guys trying to pick up kids and tempting them with candy to come in their car there and I remember alerting the apt. complex manager about it.

I remember walking to Walgreens at age 9 and drug dealers were trying to sell me drugs right outside of the drug store- I mean literally outside the door of the Walgreens- I always thought that to be funny.

When I was like 5 or 6- a lady actually came up to me and my then 19 year old sister at a playground and offered my sister 30,000 for me and was going to sell me on the black market.
    Luckily my sister said no.

I hated El Paso, even aesthetically speaking, nothing but sand and sticker bushes and I like green grass and trees and the sand just goes on and on for miles and miles- it feels like you never get anywhere.

The pests were too much for me too, there are killer bees there and huge everything- everything is bigger in Texas- it feels like the Australian outback- if you like that sort of thing great- if not then I would run.

That has just been my experience. I have never encountered anything like it since anywhere else.
    I am very happy to be away from there. My mother would go back for sake of family- luckily all my family moved away and all are glad to be away too.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    ISFP

Ladypinkington, that's terrible! I'm so sorry El Paso was like that for you!

Kingfisher and I lived outside El Paso earlier this year, we moved away a few months ago.
    It's more dangerous in El Paso than Kingfisher makes it out to be. Kingfisher has a tendency to think places are safer than they actually are. He is sometimes too comfortable and too used to being around crime because of his childhood.

There is a lot of drug trafficking in El Paso. But some neighborhoods are safer than others, and some of the city is safe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, if you're more of a Liberal, I'd advise avoiding the American South altogether.

If you're Conservative, though, then it's probably fine...

El Paso is kind of a rough-hewn city, from what I've heard, since it's so close to Mexico.
    Hmmm... good stuff... Thanks for throwing in your $0.02, Ath.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    El Paso is nice. i used to live near there, i have been to El Paso lots and lots of times.
    it's safe, low crime, pretty low cost of living. and the weather is amazing. very sunny year round. it is sunny almost every single day of the year. it gets hot in the summer, up to 100 degrees fahrenheit. but it is very dry, so it is not actually as bad as you would think.

it is very dominantly hispanic; mexican culture and mexican people. the large majority of people are hispanic, the population is probably around 85% hispanic. and most people there are bilingual. it's definitely a good idea to learn spanish if you move there, but it's not absolutely necesary. there are people in El Paso who get by fine without knowing any spanish whatsoever. but you will hear spanish constantly in El Paso.
    i don't know what WASP means, by the way.

UTEP is a good school. i mean, i never attended it, so i can't tell you much about it. it is about 20,000 students, i think. it's a pretty big campus, lots of new buildings. it's very close to downtown El Paso, close to the museums, and symphony, etc.

Juarez is very dangerous, but the crime and violence doesn't spill over into El Paso at all. El Paso is very safe.
    Juarez and El Paso are literaly right next door, by the way. the Rio Grande river seperates them, and there is a big fence, but you can drive across bridges back and forth from El Paso to Juarez. there is a toll to cross the bridge, but i think it is about $1.50 for cars, and 25 cents for walking across. so basically nothing.

oh, yes, the Catholic church is the predominant church.
    i don't know. what else can i tell you?
    Thanks for responding, Kingfisher. Interesting. I thought so, regarding the Spanish language stuff.

Also, WASP refers to "white anglo-saxon protestant"

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    ^^^I have no idea where you have lived and when in El Paso. I lived there off and on throughout the 90's and 80's.

I don't know if things have changed since then, but I knew it to be very over run with gangs and was known for being the number one drug trafficking city in the U.S- I don't know if it still is or not.

I had family members who lived in really nice neighborhoods who were attacked by gangs there while I was living there and crime was really really bad. They couldn't afford to move away and their business was there so they were stuck for a while but had to live in constant fear. My niece and nephews were not allowed to play in the front yard.

Inlaws of my sister's inlaws were attacked by gangs and they lived in the rich neighborhoods. There was gun fire and everything and major property damage- so bad that the in-laws of my sister ended up moving away and lost tons of money in property damage and things being stolen.

I remember graffiti being everywhere and trash everywhere. I lived in apt complexes there- and not the worst ones either, I would say middle quality and I had to always be very careful. I remember guys trying to pick up kids and tempting them with candy to come in their car there and I remember alerting the apt. complex manager about it.

I remember walking to Walgreens at age 9 and drug dealers were trying to sell me drugs right outside of the drug store- I mean literally outside the door of the Walgreens- I always thought that to be funny.

When I was like 5 or 6- a lady actually came up to me and my then 19 year old sister at a playground and offered my sister 30,000 for me and was going to sell me on the black market.
    Luckily my sister said no.

I hated El Paso, even aesthetically speaking, nothing but sand and sticker bushes and I like green grass and trees and the sand just goes on and on for miles and miles- it feels like you never get anywhere.

The pests were too much for me too, there are killer bees there and huge everything- everything is bigger in Texas- it feels like the Australian outback- if you like that sort of thing great- if not then I would run.

That has just been my experience. I have never encountered anything like it since anywhere else.
    I am very happy to be away from there. My mother would go back for sake of family- luckily all my family moved away and all are glad to be away too.
    Aanndd there goes UTEP off of my list of possible schools. Wow. Firstly, I'm glad you don't live there anymore if that was your experience, and secondly, you are awesome for taking the time to type that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya Z View Post
    Ladypinkington, that's terrible! I'm so sorry El Paso was like that for you!

Kingfisher and I lived outside El Paso earlier this year, we moved away a few months ago.
    It's more dangerous in El Paso than Kingfisher makes it out to be. Kingfisher has a tendency to think places are safer than they actually are. He is sometimes too comfortable and too used to being around crime because of his childhood.

There is a lot of drug trafficking in El Paso. But some neighborhoods are safer than others, and some of the city is safe.
    Maya--thanks for adding your far more recent experiences. I appreciate that greatly. While I think there are many valuable things that I would be privileged to benefit from in El Paso (especially the Spanish language and cultural differences I could learn), I think it's not the city for me.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis