User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Show me a proper lady, and I'll show you proper manners.

The table swings both ways on this, and quite frankly, it's been quite a while since I've actually met a woman that I would consider to be a proper lady.

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    On a serious note, the practical purpose is not to let any of the following happen:
    I get to the guy's home and his neighbour opens for me. He doesn't even get out of the bed to say hello, because he is watching a movie. Still, he invited me there. Badmouths all along the way, so I leave.

But I don't care, I like to feel taken care of. Maybe you as guys feel that this is pointless or simply your momma didn't teach you better.

If these things are pointless, than you might as well teach your boys to beat up girls.
    Not attending every woman's wishes for no reason other than "just because" is a pretty far cry from teaching boys to beat up girls. I'd think respect for individual, non-gender specific rights would prevent that...
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    That's just silly. Men who consistently open doors for me, even if it has them awkwardly go out of their way, just annoy me. Not all women have this desire to have people pull out chairs for them...
    I respect this, I once had a female friend tell me "When women were given the right vote and made equal then men should stop catering to us cause we can do it our selves damn it!". She was the kind of person who didnt like having doors opened for her, people being polite just cause she's a she and all that.
    SDMF

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Show me a proper lady, and I'll show you proper manners.

The table swings both ways on this, and quite frankly, it's been quite a while since I've actually met a woman that I would consider to be a proper lady.

Not attending every woman's wishes for no reason other than "just because" is a pretty far cry from teaching boys to beat up girls. I'd think respect for individual, non-gender specific rights would prevent that...
    +1

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    I respect this, I once had a female friend tell me "When women were given the right vote and made equal then men should stop catering to us cause we can do it our selves damn it!". She was the kind of person who didnt like having doors opened for her, people being polite just cause she's a she and all that.
    I can open my own doors, too. But it doesn't bother me if someone opens my door. I don't see how it implies that I couldn't do so myself.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Manners are voluntary and thus not imposed.

Not to sound like a bitter angsty teen, but they are sometimes.... in that nice Fe way we all know. Group harmony and everyone's happy. Except anyone who doesn't comply is giving the look.

Things can be valid if they are appreciated by others. Especially if they cost you nothing and profit you everything.
    Yes. If they don't cost you your independence and self-respect and/or if you are feeling you are gaining something because others appreciate it, sure. But not all people are alike I'm afraid.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Again, you keep referring to yourself and your own importance as if this were the only perspective worth consideration.
    This is just context twisting. You first made a sweeping generalization that doesn't apply to everyone, and anyone who doesn't agree with it is incorrect. The context of special that he was talking about is different from how you interpreted it.

Only certain special people get the special treatments for some of us, it's a way to show that they are special. Showing the same manners to everybody wouldn't really have the same effect.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Did I forget to mention that she was a crazy bitch and still is?

I mostly used it as an example that even some of these "rituals" are even lost on women today.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    I am not happy with the manners of the society I have plunged into.
    Good manners seem to be forgotten nowadays. Is it that much to ask for a guy to open you the door or to actually know that he is to enter first into a restaurant? For a guy to know that he has to get up from a chair when a woman enters the room and how to properly receive guests? Not to be a "potty" mouth?

I don't feel that old-fashioned, just some recent experiences made me wonder what happened with good manners and why is it so hard to keep some values. Where is society going???
    Uhm...

Equal rights.

EQUALITY.

A guy should *NOT* be getting up from his chair when a woman enters a room. He should not be opening doors only for women either. He should open the door for men and women alike just because it's polite in general.

Equality means yeu get all the good, and all the bad.

If I get the door held open for me, it means I get paid 30% less and am a slave at home. I don't consider that really all that fair a tradeoff, personally. I'll take the money and freedom over the quaint tradition of the "weaker sex", thanks.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Again, you keep referring to yourself and your own importance as if this were the only perspective worth consideration.
    It's a fairly simple process to break down any selfless or considerate action to expose some level of selfishness...

Even people who have died for the benefit of others, do it for the sake of being remembered/having a legacy/being rewarded in the afterlife/etc.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Only certain special people get the special treatments for some of us, it's a way to show that they are special. Showing the same manners to everybody wouldn't really have the same effect.
    That's an interesting point that I ultimately disagree with. Shouldn't you show respect to other people by default?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."