User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

There is a catalogue regarding mannerisms in germany. The real society guy knows everything of the latest issue all the time .

They just brought out that if someone sneezes he has to apology for it, cause he infected the others with bacteria. This caused a lot of confusion and now in the newest catalogue they revised that idea again, haha

SJs and their ideas
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

I'm not going to open doors for strange women. It's too risky.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    You'll never get laid this way, bro.
    Why not think of it the other way....those people are never getting laid. Not by/with me anyway

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    For Japanese people that want to get on well in their society, yes.

Would you open a door in New Jersey to impress someone in Paraguay?
    Great question. This is why I have a problem with Fe, for instance. I feel dishonest to bend to different contexts like that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I was not talking about random social encounters.
    I was talking about a relationship that has passed the stage of "acquaintance". I should have specified that.
    In that case then I am fine with most of those but to me they just come along with social grace and courtesy.

I don't do these things for strangers. And most people think of me as callous or rude cause I go out of my way to express a difference in my attitude towards people depending on their social status in relation to me. But at the same time im real. If i get pissed expect me to cuss. If im annoyed at you dont expect me to open your door if your the source of my annoyance. And I am in no aspect, a gentleman. People who can survive my social encounters become my friends.
    SDMF

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Great question. This is why I have a problem with Fe, for instance. I feel dishonest to bend to different contexts like that.
    I don't understand why that context was even brought up. It's unrealistic and there is no reason for anyone to even do that.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I'll partake in any social ritual you want, if it can be justified. I can't justify why I should stand up because a woman enters a room.
    Because women are special to men.

Well, due consideration isn't imposed by third parties on these individuals. "Manners" are.
    Manners are voluntary and thus not imposed.

Yes, proper being the key word, here. Proper as in socially acceptable. Just because some rituals stood the test of time, doesn't mean they were ever valid.
    Things can be valid if they are appreciated by others. Especially if they cost you nothing and profit you everything.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Ginkgo

I am not happy with the manners of the society I have plunged into.
    Good manners seem to be forgotten nowadays. Is it that much to ask for a guy to open you the door or to actually know that he is to enter first into a restaurant? For a guy to know that he has to get up from a chair when a woman enters the room and how to properly receive guests? Not to be a "potty" mouth?

I don't feel that old-fashioned, just some recent experiences made me wonder what happened with good manners and why is it so hard to keep some values. Where is society going???
    Firstly, cultural mannerisms change, fluctuate, and diverge over time and geographical distance. This is entirely normal - the world is not going to end.

Secondly, yes, I think that younger generations are generally becoming more disrespectful toward older generations' mannerisms. However, I can not discern whether this is progression for society or not.

Surely, the generations prior to yours may have had the same sort of mentality as yours does to mine. Some people will always resist change, while others will embrace it.

Most importantly, change your avatar.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I don't understand why that context was even brought up. It's unrealistic and there is no reason for anyone to even do that.
    Well, my point was.. the comparison made was whether someone outside of Japan would see Japanese rituals as worth anything. I was pointing out that this is a bit of a dead end as each society operates as it does. and people either want to make some use of its rituals or they don't.

I was just drawing attention to it with a relevant example.

MBTI
    ENTP

"Great merit, or great failings, will make you respected or despised; but trifles, little attentions, mere nothings, either done or neglected, will make you either liked or disliked in the general run of the world."

Lord Chesterfield
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."