That's all I have to say about that.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Wow, really? How in the world would you be able to tell that just from a busride?
    That's exactly my point, you can't know anything about any of the people on a bus, so how can you distinguish between them if they have no visible sign of disability?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Are you recommending checking with everyone whom you give your seat to whether they are worthy enough of your consideration? As stated before, you do it because you are a decent person, not necessarily because they are.
    "worthy of your consideration?"

If you think it makes you a decent person, so be it. But there are a great many people who DON'T think that this makes you a decent person. They may think you are being an asshole assuming they need assistance when they don't.

That 80 year old man may well be in the best shape of his life, and probably in better shape than you. I don't think you're in any position to assume.

If it gives you fluffy feelings inside to give your seat up, then I hardly see how doing it makes you a decent person.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Choosing to give one's seat to an elder should be viewed positively. However, choosing not to volunteer it should not be viewed negatively.
    I like this.

Say that you have a particular type of fire door, that has a very rigid spring which makes it slam very hard.
    Given this specific door, not holding it open would mean slamming it on a person.
    And unless obvious circumstances prevent you from holding a door e.g. holding heavy objects, to me, skipping this simple piece of manner, to call it so, it is rude and unnecessary.
    When I encounter a heavy door, through which traffic passes heavily, I find a wedge and solve the problem. Treating these type of symptoms is a hassle, curing them is eaaasy.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    infj

guys and manners.... isn't that an oxymoron?

should be MEN and manners

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    "worthy of your consideration?"

If you think it makes you a decent person, so be it. But there are a great many people who DON'T think that this makes you a decent person. They may think you are being an asshole assuming they need assistance when they don't.

That 80 year old man may well be in the best shape of his life, and probably in better shape than you. I don't think you're in any position to assume.

If it gives you fluffy feelings inside to give your seat up, then I hardly see how doing it makes you a decent person.
    +1

Just because yeu said whot I said probably in a shorter space and without the ranting XD

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Great point. I spend my Friday nights with old vietnam war vets and the one thing I always notice is how independent and proud they are. Although they may not be in the best shape, they don't want some random, empathetic hippy prick helping them out unnecessarily, and they certainly don't appreciate it when said prick insists on helping.

If some guy hobbles on the bus and looks like he wants to sit down, I'll offer my seat. If the oldie refuses, then I shut up about it and let him be.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Obviously. However, most people on buses like to sit. It's not like anyone is suggesting forcing someone to sit or accept unwanted assistance. If someone comes to my house and they refuse the food or drink I offer them, I make sure they know they're welcome to it and then leave them be.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I see no problem with manners. I like them very much.
    I enjoy recieving such a gesture and enjoy giving it just as much.
    In fact, I find it very honorable that someone who didnt know me would open a door for me. I try to open the door for others as much as I can. Seriously, havent met anyone who wasnt thankful for it. Manners make it easier for the other person to go along with their day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.