First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

What's funny is being the young man who needs the seat... *sigh*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    What's funny is being the young man who needs the seat... *sigh*
    Well, lets say he's american...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Well, lets say he's american...
    Unless they need a cane or walker, my condition needs it just as much as they do. Then again, I avoid the oldman reserved seats. Couldn't care less if a person was Amercian though.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

I think most of this is just common decency. The OP's sentiment because she's a woman is bit erroneous imo. But common decency towards people, I agree with.

MBTI
    ENTP

But if you give up your seat on the subway to an old man, but not to a younger man, aren't you actively demonstrating that you think this man is weak
    Not at all.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

If there's one thing I've gotten out of 17 years with a tough parent, then it's manners.

Manners and respect, that's what I have been taught since day one.

But you've got to mean them, you can't just say them..because what good is that?

I totally agree, it's disgusting how filthy rude and clueless so many people are (usually the younger generation). Where have our values gone? I guess they've just changed, you know? We emphasize great importance in different things.

Maybe manners will cycle back in someday.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

BC, I was responding to a woman stating that to not say men and women are equal means that one is better than the other and she believes that will result in our culture reverting back to the way things once were.

I agree that some changes needed to occur from how things were done in the past. However, in the process, I think the pendulum has been kicked so far in the other direction that neither sex is free to appreciate what makes each other unique and to use the strengths they possess where they are most valuable. If you have a screwdriver and a hammer sitting beside each other, you use the one that is most appropriate at the time. Both are extremely valuable (and I suppose in that sense equal.) However, they are not interchangeable. Having the wrong tool or access to only one of them means the job takes longer and is not done nearly as effectively.

Men are in a difficult position of women expecting different responses out of them. In some regards I think both sexes have ended up with taking on new roles while still having to also accomplish their old ones. Altogether, it is too much for one person to accomplish. I've seen a lot of women who expect their man to do all the handyman stuff around the house AND cook, entertain, pay etc as well as work full time. Similarly, I've seen women expected to work full time, but also make lunches for everyone, do homework with kids in the evening, and keep the house running smoothly. I think this comes in part from people not recognizing that we do have different strengths and that whoever is benefitting from the other person's consideration also can find ways of showing consideration.

Living in a place for five years where most manners, including greeting other people, were largely non-existant (no feelings of Fe obligation there - everyone was being very true to themselves at the moment!), I was surprised to realize what a load consideration takes off everyone's shoulders - even little things like saying excuse me, or holding a door. As a society, I think we are moving more in the direction of where I used to live, more many of the same reasons (social problems, dysfunction, lack of parenting or emotional connection to others). Choosing to ignore conventions is a conscious choice. Not being aware that they exist and that they were created for a practical purpose is quite another. I believe that's where we are headed and it is not pleasant.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ah okay fidelia.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Not at all.
    So on a crowded bus when you give your seat up specifically to some old man and not to anyone else, what is that supposed to imply?

MBTI
    ENTP

So on a crowded bus when you give your seat up specifically to some old man and not to anyone else, what is that supposed to imply?
    I would give up my seat to a woman and to anyone elderly or handicapped or otherwise burdened. I don't mind standing at all. I've spent entire bus trips standing and being the only person standing.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."