User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Default Do you have trouble being creative while writing on a keyboard?

I notice that if I'm writing something either complex, or not strictly factual-mechanical, I fare a lot better when writing directly on paper rather than with the keyboard. Do you relate? What do you think could be the cause?

I was thinking that perhaps typewriting calls for more brainpower than handwriting, thus there is less room available for other thoughts.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    SEXY

I often write down diagrams to get my thoughts organized before I turn it into a story or text. The computer doesn't allow me to do that as fast as pen and paper. The computer is just for the processing of my thoughts, not the organizing.

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I notice that if I'm writing something either complex, or not strictly factual-mechanical, I fare a lot better when writing directly on paper rather than with the keyboard. Do you relate? What do you think could be the cause?

I was thinking that perhaps typewriting calls for more brainpower than handwriting, thus there is less room available for other thoughts.
    If I'm trying to construct a lengthy, linear argument I need to do it on paper. And when I was in school, I used to need to write all my papers that way too. I'd go back & forth between typing what I'd written, printing it out, correcting it on the paper and typing the adjustments, printing it out...

I've assumed it had something to do with using my right hand (thereby using left brain- linear thinking, speech). I know there is a kind of therapy that involves right-handed people intentionally journaling with the left-hand, and it's supposedly an effective way to stir hidden memories.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I have the exact same thing @FDG

Writing on a computer is somewhat about precision. You can easily edit a text and therefore you give a huge amount of concentration to hitting the right keys and writting in good language.

In writing you just write, not concentrating that much on the letters itself.

It really is a difference.

I tend to do math at the computer, as strange as it sounds. I've got a program for that and it's much more easy to edit long formulas, while on a paper, editing would leave a mess. Same thing it is with for example writting a worklog, you get it done far more structured and organized at the pc.

Around 30 years ago or so, people had to learn to write on a straight line in school and they were given grades for the looks of their writing. My grandpa can write on a blank white paper in perfectly horizontal and parallel lines and everytime he writes a letter twice, they look like a perfect copy.

That's truly a marvellous gift, tho I am glad I hadnt to do that in school. My writing is really chaotic
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't really have this problem.

But I can't seem to write anything that ISN'T strictly factual-mechanical that's any good, either. I'm VERY left-brained, and often find it difficult to appreciate art or poetry. I'm more of an editor than a writer, in other words. I always did well on essays or analysis, but when I was asked to write a short story (only happened once), I barely got a 70. So basically, I have trouble being creative equally on any medium.

I don't seem to need to concentrate that much on typing, but that's because I've been doing it so long that it's second nature to me.

I also can't seem to master handwriting. I have this weird frustration with the imperfection of written letters, and find myself always trying to make them look more perfect like typed text, which means my writing looks odd, blocky, and forced when I do it, though it's quite readable.

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

... I find the keyboard requires a lot less brainpower. My most creative thoughts are often so fleeting, so I find it a lot easier to type.

For some reason when I handwrite, it's easy for me to become engrossed in how my writing takes form on the page, which distracts me from my initial thought and sets my mind off on tangents. Also, the process of handwriting's longer, so before the idea's down on the page, your mind has more time to doubt, critique and refine the thought so that what turns out on your paper seems... slightly impure? Different to how the thought felt in your head.

I guess it also depends on how you were conditioned to write at school. Nowadays (at least at my school), everything is done on computers, so it seems that when my fingers touch a keyboard, my mind gears up for writing. It's more effort with a pen (kinda sad that way, innit?).

Cool We are magicians.

I tune into my thoughts and feelings first. And then I enter them onto the internet.

I know how to get in touch with my thoughts and feelings but I don't know how I enter them.

I really treat my iMac like a telephone. I focus on my thoughts and feelings and sharing them, but I don't focus on how I do it.

Just as I take the telephone for granted, I take my iMac for granted.

So at the moment I am not actually writing to you, it is more that I am talking to you.

I focus on my thoughts and feelings and on sharing them with you. I don't focus on the writing. It is as though the writing magically appears in the same way my voice magically appears on the telephone.

In fact this only looks like writing rather it is ewriting, electronic writing. Both are entirely different mediums.

And just as we go to a medium to convey us to another world, the medium of writing or ewriting convey us to other worlds.

But most important, each medium conveys us to a different world, through the medium of magic.

Of course each medium is magic and we ... we are magicians.

MBTI
    ENTP

A victory post for victor. Wow, well done.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I find it a lot easier to write creatively when I'm away from home supposed to be doing something else besides writing.

So yes, I do generally find I have a lot of trouble writing creatively at a keyboard.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    xxxx

I have a handwriting disorder and don't know what it's like to write anything on paper for more than 20 minutes without my hand cramping up rather severely. That being said, I can type more quickly, easily, and with less brainpower than I can write. So, in my personal case, I'd say that it's easier for me to be creative on a keyboard. But it would be an interesting investigation to see how this has effected my thinking, writing, communication, etc.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?