User Tag List

First 123 Last

Phantonym

When I was in high school and didn't do much writing on keyboard, I couldn't get used to how writing on keyboard felt so foreign and hindered my thought process. After I got used to writing on keyboard, doing it in handwriting felt foreign in turn.

Presently, as I rely more heavily on my computer, I've gotten more comfortable with expressing my thoughts through the keyboard. It takes a while to get comfortable when switching between the two modes. And that interferes with creativity for a while. I love the opportunity to edit on a computer, writing things by hand, then correcting all of it and rewriting is so frustrating. But once I get comfortable with it, there is no noticeable difference in creativity. It all depends. I write best when I'm in a very good mood despite the mode of writing.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I have an easier time writing on paper. Something about the smooth motion of a pen and the quiet glow of paper really gets my creativity flowing. When I look at a screen, I'm turned off; the uniformity of the print and the screen-glare both put me into a kind of daze. Everything else about a keyboard is easier to deal with, though: smoother editing, less difficult to keep track of documents, and quicker writing.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I notice that if I'm writing something either complex, or not strictly factual-mechanical, I fare a lot better when writing directly on paper rather than with the keyboard. Do you relate? What do you think could be the cause?

I was thinking that perhaps typewriting calls for more brainpower than handwriting, thus there is less room available for other thoughts.
    Have no problem with either hand writing (as I chose to do for all my essay exams in law school), or typing on a keyboard (as I do on boards like this one). I think this issue has more to do with finding your personal voice, and getting your sea legs as far as the written word is concerned.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I find eny type of writing limiting my creativity, because my mind runs 10 times faster than what is possible to write, allso my thinking is much more complex than what can be written. If i start to write something i need to get back to previous thoughts all the time(most the time), and when i need to return to previous thoughts i continue from them again and i might forget to think something again, so that i could write it down. This can lead to quite hard to understand or bit missleading text. I do check that i didnt leave enything out tho, but that quite often just leads me to add up things somewhere in the middle of the text and might make it even harder to understand.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ISFJ

Yeah, I do have trouble with creative writing on a keyboard. I always go for pen and paper to do it. Even though I suck at it (in english, at least).

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I find eny type of writing limiting my creativity, because my mind runs 10 times faster than what is possible to write, allso my thinking is much more complex than what can be written.
    I also agree with this. Which is why I always felt I could never be a writer, the same way I could never be a painter. You are basically making it all more easily digestible. I prefer more "chaotic" mediums like music/soundscapes or movies or games, where the threads are all intertwined and presented to you at the same time. Less linear.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I use a variety of methods:

Notes, ideas, 1-liners: small notebooks

Scenes, character sketches, outlines, summaries: 8.5x11 ruled notebooks

Mass quantities of text, WIPs and drafts: computer

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I prefer more "chaotic" mediums like music/soundscapes or movies or games, where the threads are all intertwined and presented to you at the same time. Less linear.
    Novels are presented to you all at the same time, unless you are subscribing to a serial or something. You just need to read faster & think bigger. Seriously though, in a great novel, the scenes, characters, and themes are interacting with the past and future scenes, characters, and themes in any given chapter. This is what creates those "aha!" moments...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Actually, my creativity blooms when im on the computer typing
    I love it! Thats when its best for me to write songs and my stories and such things.
    I have a bit more trouble when I'm writting such things down because I get distracted and start doodling pictures on the same paper :/
    So typing is better for me
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I type probably 3x faster than I hand write, so it's good for being creative.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I notice that if I'm writing something either complex, or not strictly factual-mechanical, I fare a lot better when writing directly on paper rather than with the keyboard. Do you relate? What do you think could be the cause?

I was thinking that perhaps typewriting calls for more brainpower than handwriting, thus there is less room available for other thoughts.
    If I can just write and not have to worry about editing or grammar, I feel more creative handwriting things. I think it may have to do with handwriting being personal and more visually flowing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

my creativity can expand on a computer. Mainly because of the internet. I'll google new words & things to use in whatever I'm writing about. On a notebook I'll often draw blanks since I'm just going off of my own ideas. I can make up clay chunks of ideas, but it takes other resources to define them into something really good, I think.