User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

It's not as though I go outdoors much anyway. No change in my daily life.

Wait, does transportation still work in the Stircrazy Months, like cars or buses?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Default Vitamin D and my Dog

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Vitamin D! It changes your outlook on life.
    How true. Particularly vitamin D in cod liver oil capsules. For not only do you get your fair share of D but you also get all the omega 3. It improves your skin, your eyesight, and every cell of your body, even your brain.

The only one to lose in this deal is the cod. But here summer is acomin' in. And I bathe my whole body in sunlight 'cause my skin is a vitamin D making machine.

So cod are quite safe here during summer, so I invite all cod who may be feeling a little toey, a little edgy, to migrated to Oz for summer and frolic in our surf, safe from Fidelia who will use you, no, will eat you, merely to change her outlook on life.

And she still won't talk to my dog.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

The vitamin D is a good suggestion. I do have a multi-vitamin daily, but not sure about the vitamin D dose in it. I do take fish oil capsules too. So, I'm almost there but I will check into upping the D.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

OK, I am puzzled as to the utility of Vit. D in winter. Is it to mitigate depressive symptoms ala reduction of Vit. D regularly produced in epidermis due tro lack of sunshine?

I did read just the other day that 500 mg Calcium+Vit. D. supplement taken 3x per day incresed fat loss by almost 4x in a weight control study. Apparently the hypothesis is that Vit. D is often present in fatty foods, and that if the body is properly fortified with Vit. D, that will reduce cravings for such said fatty foods. I'm trying this, winter or not. I'll eat crushed crushed lava rock if it helps me get my abs in good shape.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Vitamin D appears lately to be the wonder vitamin, the panacea for a myriad of problems as Victor said (I've even heard that it helps suppress certain kinds of cancer). It is suggested now that it is safe to take 2000 IU a day of it. Especially for those who live in northern countries where there is less sunlight and good weather during the winter, people often are extremely deficient in it (which causes a lot of health problems). I was sceptical at first, but really did find that it improved my mood incredibly during winter months. I can tell if I haven't taken it for a few days! I have heard the same thing as you about the Calcium and D combo for fat loss, Halla. I haven't tried it, but plan to add some calcium supplements and see if it's any good.

Victor, your dog is a very nice old fellow.

MBTI
    INTP

Vitamin D appears lately to be the wonder vitamin
    Our ancestors got it from raw milk combined with light skin that requires less sun. I wonder how the east Asians and Inuit people survived, I don't think they had milk.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Fish oil.

MBTI
    INTP

Fish oil.
    I took fish oil supplements for awhile and didn't notice anything, maybe it was because I was living in southern California (lol). Was taking it for omega-3.

MBTI
    INFP

North of the 40th parallel taking a D supplement is a very good idea - especially between the first day of autumn and the first day of spring as the sun isn't strong enough to synthesize the vitamin in your skin. With the additional stresses of being required to be indoors and/or covering up thoroughly a majority of the time means taking it even during the summer to some degree. This is above and beyond drinking fortified milk.

My 2 cents...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsWoman View Post
    North of the 40th parallel taking a D supplement is a very good idea - especially between the first day of autumn and the first day of spring as the sun isn't strong enough to synthesize the vitamin in your skin. With the additional stresses of being required to be indoors and/or covering up thoroughly a majority of the time means taking it even during the summer to some degree. This is above and beyond drinking fortified milk.

My 2 cents...
    Nice!

I know that D, A, K, and E are all fat soluble vitamins, and some sources note that it is wise not to over ingest them as they can become toxic (I'd assume you'd need to eat a dump truck load to get seriously ill, but whatever), but it seems like if you took them for a few days and then skipped one here and there it would average out. I'm not one for schedules, details, etc. Can't they just give me a shot that gives me all the vitamins I'll ever need for the rest of my life?