User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    istp

Default Over-complexification

If it is true that there is only ever 1 correct answer (even if we will never know it fully) why do we so often succumb to the desire to over-complexify things? In other words, trying to find the right answer by coming up with a bunch of wrong answers rather than asking more questions? Is it that we don't even understand what the question is in the first place? Would we rather have incorrect answers than none at all, or perhaps have others believe that we have answers even if we dont?

You can probably guess how this applies to TypoC

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Some people need answers, even if they are unsure of their quality I suppose. Personally, I'm comfortable not having an answer, so long as I'm working, or capable of working, towards finding a functional answer.

I, for one, don't believe there to be only one answer in most situations. Life, as I've seen it, is approximation. But that doesn't mesh with your mentioned "If, then" scenario I suppose.

<---Bad with hypotheticals.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I reccomend looking into Quantum Mechanics, Schrodinger's cat may prove helpful for your attempt to understand the craziness of explanations. This rebukes the idea of a correct answer.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    If it is true that there is only ever 1 correct answer (even if we will never know it fully) why do we so often succumb to the desire to over-complexify things? In other words, trying to find the right answer by coming up with a bunch of wrong answers rather than asking more questions? Is it that we don't even understand what the question is in the first place? Would we rather have incorrect answers than none at all, or perhaps have others believe that we have answers even if we dont?

You can probably guess how this applies to TypoC
    It is not true.

MBTI
    istp

Quote Originally Posted by Gewitter27 View Post
    This rebukes the idea of a correct answer.
    or reinforces that we do not know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    It is not true.
    mathematics is a human creation but it is the most accurate representation of reality that we have, even in math 1+1 always equals 2.

reality itself has no inaccuracy, only our formation of questions and answers about it. it is human nature to want to posses answers... those who have answers are perceived as intelligent, they are given power, respect, even sexual attraction, but i am arguing that this desire is misleading.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't think you got it. Scrodinger's cat basically means that until one opens the box to see of the cat is alive, the cat is both alive and dead, some combination of the two based upon the likelihood. That is what you need to assume: In the abscense of data, all possible outcomes must be considered correct.
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe

MBTI
    istp

I don't think you got it. Scrodinger's cat basically means that until one opens the box to see of the cat is alive, the cat is both alive and dead, some combination of the two based upon the likelihood. That is what you need to assume: In the abscense of data, all possible outcomes must be considered correct.
    I understand Scrodinger's cat, what I do not understand is why we would use such a concept to suggest that a cat can be both alive and dead. simply by definition it is going to be one or the other.

in the absence of data, we should not try to answer the question. the paradox lies in the attempt to do so, in the belief that we can answer the question, in the reluctance to say "I do not know".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Trying to find an answer in the absence of data is all about stretching your N to the limit!
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe

MBTI
    istp

Trying to find an answer in the absence of data is all about stretching your N to the limit!
    it is also how we have reached every incorrect conclusion, and taking mathematics for example, there are almost infinitely more incorrect answers than correct ones.

so how can we reduce this pattern? stop coming up with answers and ask better questions.

to illustrate my point, if there is a scientific research project, should the government always fund it? its purpose is to answer a question, right? no, we need to consider the importance of the question they are answering, which again is a matter of more questions, not answers.

ultimately, we have to identify an intended goal first. i am asking, is that goal to have answers, or find the right answer? i am proposing most people fall into the former category to the detriment of everyone.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Building off my earlier posts: Occam's razor. But the simplest explanation may not always be simple in itself. Making theories based on things you don't know is all well and good, but advertising it as correct is not good. That's what I think, anyway.
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe