User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Social Separation

What the hell is up with people on this forum being so incredibly paranoid about social networking leakage?

What I mean is, I feel like people make this forum a bubble.
    I understand if it just never comes up. But when people make a conscious effort to avoid, for instance, having other members of this forum also follow them on twitter, or be their Facebook friend, or know a single thing about them outside this forum (read: control environment) it makes me feel like they have something to hide or are hiding from something.

This is more of a senseless rant.

I guess I don't really understand "not having your personal stuff floating out there on the web where anyone can get a hold of it" out side of SSN's and addresses.
    Do you go outside?

The admin's can delete close this thread if they like, but I'm genuinely wondering.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Actually I've thought of this. The conclusion I came up with is that this site is like a retreat from real life for these people and they don't want this 'inside social life' to be part of their real life in which the other websites are part of.

Phantonym

Maybe it is about avoiding being vulnerable and protecting themselves. I can guess that since this forum is not merely a place for lighthearted and casual discussion and that people share so much of themselves here, things that they might not be willing to share with people who know them, it is understandable that they are wary of providing an opportunity to share their life outside of this place.
    This forum is a comfortable bubble. You can leave things as they are here when you log off. It's about separation of "real life" and "online life".

MBTI
    ENTP

Sounds psychopathic, IMHO.
    Oh wait, I am anti-social! Half the time...

I've never looked at my life and said "this is my work life, this is my personal life, this is my online life, etc..."

It's all my life. I don't see the boundaries.

MBTI
    INxJ

For me this forum is a tool to gain knowledge to help in my real life. I'm not here to make friends. Surprisingly, I've made a couple, and those people are let into my life outside of this bubble. I'm not interested in doing that on a mass scale.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Well the people you refer to do.
    Fair enough.
    I guess I just don't understand the reasoning behind it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Women and people with children do not tend to want to put out their personal information for safety reasons. There are crazies out there.

In addition to that, on a more personal level, both my family of origin and my in-laws are somewhat anxious religious and political conservatives and I am halfway in the closet about my political beliefs with them in order to save myself, but more especially my husband, grief.

But it also gets old being muzzled, so it's nice to have an outlet where nobody is going to freak and think I hate Jesus because I don't think national health care is government plot to kill old people or that Obama is the anti-christ.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    For me this forum is a tool to gain knowledge to help in my real life. I'm not here to make friends. Surprisingly, I've made a couple, and those people are let into my life outside of this bubble. I'm not interested in doing that on a mass scale.

That helps.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I came here because I wanted to seek knowledge, and understanding about MBTI and various other things.

... I see my stay here as a personal reassurance that (this) my character is the way I am - therefore it comes off as reference to what I am doing in the future. Other than that, it does not come in the way of my personal life, and I am happy to share information with (fellow) members around here, and make friends.