User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

Ginkgo

I'm just gonna be honest and say that I enjoy tramp stamps in small doses, though in most presumed cases I would prefer a woman I was dating to be tattoo free.

Basically, if a tattoo embellishes who they are as a human being in a way I understand, then awesome. But it's confusing to look at Denis Rodman looking people, expecting to see a person where there is no longer one. Sounds harsh, and I wouldn't say the same about an amputee, but the knowledge that tattoos are made deliberately just makes a person look more like a pretty picture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

@YWIR @ Ginkgo

Could you guys elaborate a little. I've always been curious about what is is that makes people's not want tattoos on their partner. Is it purely visual? Like seeing the tattoo sparks other thought processes besides eroticism?

Dont have or ever wanted any body modifications other than for medical reasons. They may look good even, but the whole mental attachment idea is unappealing to me, as that is the core fallacy to the dream state we all live in.

I understand we all deal with things differently, and some people might embrace it. I don't find the need to judge them for it per se as it's their whole as a person that will either appeal to me or not.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    @YWIR @ Ginkgo

Could you guys elaborate a little. I've always been curious about what is is that makes people's not want tattoos on their partner. Is it purely visual? Like seeing the tattoo sparks other thought processes besides eroticism?

The issue is visual, emotional, and logical. Tattoos distract you from the form of one's original body whether you like the tattoo itself or not. This distraction leads one to, more or less, dehumanize an individual. At the very least, it detracts from the experience of anyone who anticipates seeing another in their full figure.

My feelings are mixed on how attractive they are, as how attractive any particular one is is very relative to woman, her prior assets, and the presentation of the tattoo.

i don't entirely agree with what @phobik is saying in a practical sense. I think one can tattoo their body without attachment to it, or at least a momentary attachment to it. Objectively, it's just another facet of your body and many wish to view it as such.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    @YWIR @ Ginkgo

Plus, it's rather hard to separate the idea of a tat from the idea of a person's character considering how many tattoo wearers explicitly or implicitly demand that you judge them for it for better or for worse. Tattoos have always been culturally significant because they signify merit, background, history, personal philosophy, or something along those lines. I think it's becoming more of a trend for people to get them purely for artistic reasons and oddly those tattoos may be the ones most justifiable for anyone who wants to judge another impartially. It's just like "LOL I thought it would look badass." But even then, there's a backstory to be uncovered so go figure.

I mean, generally, a woman who gets a tramp stamp did so because her focus was on the erotic; regardless of whether she's actually a tramp, it does say that at least at one point, she was openly, liberally, sexual, in a sense. A sexual woman doesn't need to have sex to be a nymphomaniac.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

I don't have any because I don't trust myself to NOT get bored of it a few years down the line.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

It's just that as much as I love graffiti art downtown I don't want it on my house.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think it's pretty cool to get a tattoo for a sentimental reason.

Excluding those stupid ones where people get a tattoo of the person they're with, only to break up with them two months later.

MBTI
    INtP

I'd never consider getting one -- the permanency doesn't have any real appeal for me, and I tend to view them as asymmetrical and kind of distracting from someone's natural appearance. From an artistic perspective, I have seen some that look great, but that is often the um... attractiveness of the "canvas" as much as the art itself.

I'm not much of a projector of my internal thoughts and feelings anyway. I'd prefer to keep that sort of thing on the inside, and revealed only to select people (if that). I'm way too reserved to wear clothes with a message on them, or to put a bumper sticker on my car... a tattoo on my body? Um, no :p.

I had a friend once who considered getting a tattoo of a wedding ring on his finger instead of wearing a ring, though. That was romantic in a practical, potentially inconspicuous way, and had some appeal (even if not enough to have me want to consider it myself). Plus, makes it hard to lose / have to replace your wedding ring :p.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The issue is visual, emotional, and logical. Tattoos distract you from the form of one's original body whether you like the tattoo itself or not. This distraction leads one to, more or less, dehumanize an individual. At the very least, it detracts from the experience of anyone who anticipates seeing another in their full figure.

My feelings are mixed on how attractive they are, as how attractive any particular one is is very relative to woman, her prior assets, and the presentation of the tattoo.

i don't entirely agree with what @phobik is saying in a practical sense. I think one can tattoo their body without attachment to it, or at least a momentary attachment to it. Objectively, it's just another facet of your body and many wish to view it as such.
    Interesting. I've always thought the opposite. It seemed to me that looking a the naked body of someone tattooed would be harder to dehumanized because they have this indicator of their own thoughts/personality on them. You cant view them without seeing that they make choices about thins like what they want on their body.

I'm not ascribing this to you but my reaction to people who dislike tattoos on their partners has always been sort of the thought that "what? I can't ruin your view by reminding you the I have a personality?". Not in angry crusader way though just perplexed.