First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I saw quite a few during that time actually, and heard this same sentiment during that time as well.

It was a little different then and we didn't have quite as many teenagers and moms doing it, the full body tattoos were more rare also, but seriously, the tattoo is extremely old. This sentiment is also getting dated.
    It's fashionable now but 20- 30 years ago, it was considered somewhat low class. It seems to me that if you look at the statistics, there is a downward trend in terms of popularity going on right now.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    You think those guys look cool?

What happens when they are out of fashion and you have this permanent thing on your body. Things go in and out of style. 10 years ago, gold light fixtures were in. Now they are not. At least you can replace the fixtures. You can't replace your skin.
    I don't get tattoos that are fashionable. I get tattoos that have personal meaning. Also the idea that tattooing is a passing fad I think is false. many cultures have practiced tattooing since antiquity. Otzi the Iceman has tattoos. There are a right of passage in many indigenous cultures. I see the permanence as a high point rather than a point of danger. Also as an artist myself I think the idea of the body as surface for images is really exciting. I don't see it as being "cool" in the sense of impressing my peers. i think it's cool for historic and artistic reason. my tattoos are in places that are easily shown of so the "cool factor" isn't high.

I think those guys look awesome. I mean you can't do anything to influence how your body look to a great extent ( diet, excercise, hair dye ect) but as for making a permanent visual statement about yourself tattoos are kind of their own thing.

Of course people get retarted tattoos. But I think like anything there are people who can elevate it to an art form .

Lyle Tuttle

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I don't get tattoos that are fashionable. I get tattoos that have personal meaning. Also the idea that tattooing is a passing fad I think is false. many cultures have practiced tattooing since antiquity.
    I get that they can have personal meaning. However, I would wager a fair sum of money that in 20 years they will be a lot less fashionable than they are now.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ

It's fashionable now but 20- 30 years ago, it was considered somewhat low class. It seems to me that if you look at the statistics, there is a downward trend in terms of popularity going on right now.
    I pretty much grew up with the 'low class' so my perspective is different. Sub cultures are funny that way. It wasn't global 'fashionable' but some people didn't give a shit, they had their own thing going.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

King Fredrick IX of denmark.

Tattooing has a history of popularity amongst European nobility.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I get that they can have personal meaning. However, I would wager a fair sum of money that in 20 years they will be a lot less fashionable than they are now.
    Maybe certain types of imagery but not the tattooing practice itself. People have been saying that (at least) since the 60/s70s when you started to see people who weren't outsiders getting tattoos. and yet it's still going on. I think now, like everything else, we just have more exposure to the heavily tattooed via the internet and television.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't have any tattoos. If I did I'd like to get a carp on the right side of my back, up the lat. But I have no plan to. There are a few places in Japan you can't go with tattoos.
    Where? Does the same go for piercings? I want to go to Japan soon, and I also want more holes in my ears.

I only like really cool artistic ones on cool, artistic people. Otherwise I think it looks trashy. (No offense, just my aesthetic opinion.) I would never get one. I don't feel the need to wear symbols on my body; they're all in my mind.

As for piercings, I have a belly button ring, and I want to get two more holes in each ear- three on the bottom on the left, and two on the bottom and one on the top on the right. I think piercings are kind of hot. But as a chameleon, I can't do anything too extreme.

MBTI
    INFJ

@greenfairy

I pierced my own eyebrow once with a safety pin. Not some wimpy attempt either, it was a really deep and meaty one. :P

Probably the worst idea I ever had IMO. That was definitely impulsive and just one of my 'phases'. I got tired of it after about a week because it felt weird.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I like how the smaller gangues look in ears but I don't want my ears stretched out forever. I know they are supposed to go back but My other peircings never close up so I don't want to risk it.

Piercing and tattooing get sort of lumped together into "body modification" but I've always see them as having a totally different vibe. Dermals kind of freak me out.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    @greenfairy

I pierced my own eyebrow once with a safety pin. Not some wimpy attempt either, it was a really deep and meaty one. :P

Probably the worst idea I ever had IMO. That was definitely impulsive and just one of my 'phases'. I got tired of it after about a week because it felt weird.
    Wow. You have guts is all I can say.