First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post

never understood the idea that old people don't look goo with tattoos. Wrinkled is wrinkled. Old people are cool.
    You think those guys look cool?

What happens when they are out of fashion and you have this permanent thing on your body. Things go in and out of style. 10 years ago, gold light fixtures were in. Now they are not. At least you can replace the fixtures. You can't replace your skin.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post

What happens when they are out of fashion and you have this permanent thing on your body. Things go in and out of style. 10 years ago, gold light fixtures were in. Now they are not. At least you can replace the fixtures. You can't replace your skin.
    I guess the point is to get something that you actually can live with for the rest of your life and isn't a passing trend. (like sailor jerry/'old school' style tattoos currently)

I kind of shudder when i see how many kids today have MASSIVE tattoos in really obvious places (chest, neck, hands) that for them are really meaningful and amazing at 18, but may not mean so much when they're 30.

But i guess that's personal choice, and very few people get tattoos to please someone else.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nijntje View Post
    I guess the point is to get something that you actually can live with for the rest of your life and isn't a passing trend. (like sailor jerry/'old school' style tattoos currently)
    Isn't it all a passing trend though?

In 20 years, do you think tattoos will be popular? Maybe. Maybe not.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm going to invert this and say that being averse to tattooing is the actual fad - albeit a stubborn one.

MBTI
    INFJ

They've been around for thousands of years. I doubt 20 more is going to make the difference. They aren't even new.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    They've been around for thousands of years. I doubt 20 more is going to make the difference. They aren't even new.
    How many people do you think got tattoos 25 years ago?

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think certain styles of tattooing is certainly seen as trendy, but in terms of the western use of tattooing (rather than traditional uses), it has been around for a while, and i guess the people who were getting them 25, 50 years ago were people who really wanted them.

In a way, i guess they used them as an expression of perhaps non conformity. Where as now, i pretty much want to retch when i see 'tribal' tattoos and especially here in australia 'southern cross' tattoos, as they are pretty much the antithesis of 'non conformity'.

Edit: i think part of the trend is the acceptance of large amounts of tattooing on an individual, they don't carry the same 'shock' factor they did 20 years ago. You know when your mum gets a tattoo that something is pretty much mainstream. (and yes, my mum has one, and yes, it's banal and horrible.)

Perhaps if i ever have children, they will be embarrassed by the amount of body modifications including tattoo's i have, perhaps as a backlash to the current acceptability of it all.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFJ

How many people do you think got tattoos 25 years ago?
    I saw quite a few during that time actually, and heard this same sentiment during that time as well.

It was a little different then and we didn't have quite as many teenagers and moms doing it, the full body tattoos were more rare also, but seriously, the tattoo is extremely old. This sentiment is also getting dated.

I think, the only difference between a tattoo and other fads is that tattoos can become personal and even "unique" in the sense that the tattoo would look different (unless it is a tribal tattoo that every one else gets.)

I always have wanted to have a white tiger on my back.

It never occurred for several reasons though.

But when the time is right, I might just get it.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I love that if they put on a shirt everyone would see them as an average old geezer, then when they take the shirt off you see that they were someone who didn't care about fitting societies expectations and likely have a rebellious side. They will get extreme reactions, some will be captivated and want to know their story, others will stay as far away as they can, I like that.

If someone loves tattoos they will not see the same thing that I expect you're seeing there.

If someone gets a tattoo to follow a fad or please/impress others then they're stupid and should settle for a body piercing that can be removed when they realise it's not them. The fact it's a permanent thing should is not to be taken lightly.

My tats are for me. End of story. I don't care about fads and feel the same way as Nij; sorry for people who are following a fad and getting tats that will be on them for the rest of their lives without having the life experience to know what matters, especially if it's in a place where it can't be hidden. Neck tats are my cringe-factor tats when on 20 year olds. The fad folk are the people sitting next to the idiots who got a ex-lovers name inked on them in the tattoo removal waiting room.

Thing is I love tattoos, I love the experience you have to go through to get one, it's not for everyone. I love that I can wear something permanently, each tat I have is significant to me and serves as a daily reminder of something permanent. And I am prepared to accept that not everyone likes them and especially in the corporate world they could be held against me. I love the art, the feeling, the expression, the experience. I know enough to know that at 60 I will not regret having ink.