First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I don't have any tattoos. If I did I'd like to get a carp on the right side of my back, up the lat. But I have no plan to. There are a few places in Japan you can't go with tattoos.
    Why is that? What about if you have them under a shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Why is that? What about if you have them under a shirt?
    It's because they are heavily associated with the yakuza. Now days a lot of younger guys and girls are getting them so it's getting more lenient. It is mostly onsen and sentos (bath houses) that won't let you in. Even the gym I work at has a no tattoo policy, though it isn't really enforced. You can get around it with a elastic bandage sometimes.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

wolfy, so it is tattoos in general that are associated with the yakuza, and not just specific tattoo designs?

there are lots of places in Central America where tattoos are heavily associated with MS-13, so there is a lot of fear of tattoos in certain parts of central america.
    it is pretty wide-open in the USA. in the USA acceptance/fear of tattoos varies a huge amount from place to place.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    It's because they are heavily associated with the yakuza. Now days a lot of younger guys and girls are getting them so it's getting more lenient. It is mostly onsen and sentos (bath houses) that won't let you in. Even the gym I work at has a no tattoo policy, though it isn't really enforced. You can get around it with a elastic bandage sometimes.
    Ah I see... also OP spelled Tattoo wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    wolfy, so it is tattoos in general that are associated with the yakuza, and not just specific tattoo designs?

there are lots of places in Central America where tattoos are heavily associated with MS-13, so there is a lot of fear of tattoos in certain parts of central america.
    it is pretty wide-open in the USA. in the USA acceptance/fear of tattoos varies a huge amount from place to place.
    Certain types of designs are more associated with the yakuza. In particular tatoos covering the torso and one arm, carps, dragons, flowers. The reason yakuza started getting tattoos is that long ago the criminals had numbers tattooed on them. When that was done away with they tattooed over the numbers with elaborate designs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I have my entire right forearm sleeved, from elbow to wrist. Its a raven perched on a dead tree in the midst of a red sea, below the tree skulls float through the waves and the base of the tree is even on fire as if struck by lightning.

My sons name is Raven, and the raven is for him. The rest is to show that even through turmoil and chaos you can make something beautiful. And thus the raven stands perched on the dead tree admist the chaos, oblivious for it doesn't touch him.

I also plan on have the rest of the arm as well as my other done. I have a few concepts I want for chest and back tattoos as well. And I hate that excuse people use to not get one, that their gona get old and wrinkly so why bother. Well like a good friend of mine said recently, "If your just gona get old and ugly anyways, then why should you care if the tattoos get the same way."
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

Poor Impulse Control
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Se>Fe>Si>Fi

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fucked you."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I like them, I think they add character if they're well thought out, I don't have one though, I doubt I could decide anyway.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Can you imagine the equivalent of 80s fashions becoming a permanent part of your look? That's how I see a lot of tattoos (think lower back butterflies, Chinese characters, sleeves, stars on the neck, Pamela Anderson barbed wire etc, wings on the back). It just starts looking dated a lot of the time, plus tattoos require maintenance to continue looking good. For sure I'd suggest not getting anyone's name tattooed on! Also consider that your profession/associations may change throughout your lifetime, so don't pick anything that may slam some doors (I'm thinking of the man who got naked women tattooed all over his forearms, or the guy who had FUCK written in giant letters down his whole arm.) Usually neck and hands will end up being detrimental. And under no circumstances let your friend practice his newfound tattooing skills on you, even if he has all the proper equipment! (Hopefully it goes without saying that drunken, self-tattooing is also a bad idea, no matter how great of an artist you are...) Other than that, I guess it's your call. I don't think I would, but I've seen a lot of people who are thrilled with theirs.

MBTI
    INxJ

I have a really small one that isn't visible. I had mine done when I was 18. I wouldn't get another one.