First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    No offense Athenian but technically speaking English in one of the most simple languages there is. (as far as I know)

Actually this is one of the reasons why entire world managed to learn it so quickly and fairly well at the same time.
    Actually English is one of the more difficult languages for non-native speakers because it contradicts its own rules so often.

And btw, even native speakers tend to speak English very, very poorly. Nobody in America can spell or structure a sentence properly; just look at the internet.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Actually English is one of the more difficult languages for non-native speakers because it contradicts its own rules so often.

And btw, even native speakers tend to speak English very, very poorly. Nobody in America can spell or structure a sentence properly; just look at the internet.
    I used that "technically" because I was only talking about the level of English that makes communication possible. (just saying)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one, Edited by Athenian200 View Post
    No offense Athenian, but technically speaking, English is one of the most simple languages (as far as I know).

Actually, this is one of the reasons why the entire world managed to learn it so quickly, and fairly well at the same time.
    Hehe. Your own errors hint that your statement is false.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one, Edited by Athenian200 View Post
    I used "technically" because I was only referring to the level of English that makes communication possible (just saying).
    Well, if you're talking about sloppy English, I suppose that's correct.

By the way... this thread is HEAVEN.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Hehe. Your own errors hint that your statement is false.

Well, if you're talking about sloppy English, I suppose that's correct.
    I know that you are joking but just because there are errors that still doesn't mean that English is not one of the simplier languages to learn.
    (on a sloppy level at least)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Actually, it is interesting to find out that English (in a loose and basic form) is easier to learn than most languages.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    There you go Santtu. Your English could be mistaken for a native speaker's. There are only a few hints that this is not your first language.
    What is fun (to me) is that I could find disagreement with a few of your corrections. Different corrections reflect different intended meanings from Santtu. You know, the choice/placement of words/phrases changes the angle of the message's meaning. If every choice of writing/communicating is chosen for a specific reason, even the smallest bits make a difference.

However, this also means that we can't say for sure what Santtu means, because we don't know his thoughts or each angle of what he meant to convey. It leaves it open to more interpretation.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 10-18-2009 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Antisocial One's post
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Default interesting thread

what's it with the capital G in german and the E in english. is it just my customized spellchecker, or do you always underline your language in red

i often think in english because it's very straightforward in explaining a concept or functional/technical thing. its robo-speak and its best suited to drive the global development of software and similar things. in German you have to know more of what you are about to say in advance, before you choose the way in which you can express it best. english is more modular somehow. you can easily tweak a given sentence, pimp it with insertions, whithout changing so much words that have been written down, previously. or maybe that's just how i am doing it there may be difficulties in correct english, but incorrect english is just as usable. i believe, that incorrect german could be way more ambiguous in meaning.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Its an interesting debate.

I have previously discussed this with friends who speak English as a second lanugage. 2 who speak very different lanugages (Swiss German and Mandarin) said it really easy to learn. I was surprised that they said this and pointed out its spelling inconsistancies, the lack of uniform rules, the extremely varying regional accents and how simply switching a few words around or inserting some punctuation can change the entire meaning of the sentence - besides the fact that most people who have been speaking it their entire lives can't even get it entirely right. They did admit these factors do make it difficult at times but they said its ease comes from its natural flow and its intuitive nature. One of them did admit that despite learning (American) English for years, when she arrived in New Zealand she couldn't understand a word anyone said. I have been told similar things by other friends. When I was travelling overseas some people even asked how long I had been learning English

Another friend of mine (a Spaniard) pointed out that English is a weird language because you have to say a word exactly right before people will understand you. If you are slightly off, even in the rhythm or stresses, English speakers can't work out what you are saying. He said that in Spanish, you can screw it up and people will still get it.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Thanks for the corrections. IMHO English is easy to learn when compared to Spanish or Swedish, for example. I wouldn't know for sure as I haven't learned either of the two. There's a lot of irregularities in English which cannot be inferred though.

If people complain that they don't get me, of course I'll run a test to see where my error's at. That is, if I suspect a problem with delivery rather than the content of the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

btw, i have not felt confident about writing here, when i joined in 2007. that had changed by 2009, obviously. in-between i saw all episodes of 7 english TV shows and a million of english movies. yay for piracy one world!

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    btw, i have not felt confident about writing here, when i joined in 2007. that had changed by 2009, obviously. in-between i saw all episodes of 7 english TV shows and a million of english movies. yay for piracy one world!
    That seems odd, giving that I find your insight about many issues quite striking. I haven't found problems with your language, apart from it being advanced and developed.

But, I'd like to give another post of mine for evaluation. I tried to make it just right, even though I didn't rewrite it, ever.

A survey of dark moods: Attraction, preference and tolerance to them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to understand this topic in order to understand one individual in my life and get along with that person better. Perhaps this is a common theme I'm willing to understand - so perhaps this survey will help other persons than me, as well.

I'm trying to find what kind of factors lead to people being tolerant of dark moods, and what part of the amount of internal and external stress plays in their lives. I'm also trying to find how life skills and achievement work into it.

Here goes.

How much do you agree to each the following statements?
    1: Strongly disagree
    2: Somewhat disagree
    3: Neither agree or disagree
    4: Somewhat agree
    5: Strongly agree
    Please give a numerical response to every question you can.

If you wish, explain your answers, too, but I don't expect this of anyone. Number alone is sufficient.

Q1. As a general rule, I'm always directed towards success and solving the problems.
    Q2. As of right now, I'm urgently trying to improve my lot in life.
    Q3. I often joke about other people's problems.
    Q4. People should support the good mood in a group.
    Q5. Life is so unjust, I almost wish I wouldn't have to take part in it.
    Q6. I often get depressed from all those terrible things happening to me.
    Q7. I should be treated with dignity, because I'm a human being afterall.
    Q8. I don't get that depressed at all when discussing dark topics.
    Q9. I wouldn't want to spoil the mood by complaining about my problems.
    Q10. If someone loved me, they would listen to my problems and give me comfort.
    Q11. People should understand how they make others feel with what they say.
    Q12. If people want respect, they have to treat others with respect.
    Q13. I can't relate to most of the stuff that happy people talk about.
    Q14. Happy people don't seem to have any depth.
    Q15. I can tolerate, even enjoy, a lot of depressive ideas.
    Q16. If I'm on a bad mood, everyone should be on a bad mood.
    Q17. I cry with those who cry, and I laugh with those who laugh.
    Q18. Some people's personal problems are a joke.
    Q19. Things often turn out bad in my life.
    Q20. As a general rule, I'm a happy person.
    Q21. Depressive thoughts are always with me.
    Q22. Life is easy enough for me to have happy, carefree mood for the most time.
    Q23. I can put my feelings aside when I need to do something important.
    Q24. If bad enough things happen to me, I just spill it out and make it known to everyone.
    Q25. My mood is a result of things that have happened to me, and I can't help it.
    Q26. I live through my moods very intensively.
    Q27. I'm easy to get along with.
    Q28. I'm such a burden to other people.
    Q29. Take me as I am, or leave me be.
    Q30. Other people are there to help me with my problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]