User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

People need to stop spelling you as "yeu" (or however they spell it).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    In an attempt to improve our skills in [the] English language and making it easier [to make it easier] to communicate in the forum in the future, I'll suggest the following format:

Submit texts you want checked for grammar and the style of writing. Others who want to help you get rid of annoying spelling errors, grammatical errors and such, will correct the texts.

Once the errors are pointed out, it's easier to work on improving them. It's harder to work on improving one's language, when the kind of feedback you've got is "learn to write, lol".

I don't write too well, so I should probably keep myself from attempting to correct anything.

I don't want this to become a place for finding [don't need the word finding there] people to do their homework, so I'd suggest [that] you to [no to needed] avoid correcting texts that look like someone's homework, unless if that's what you specifically want to do.
    There you go Santtu. Your English could be mistaken for a native speaker's. There are only a few hints that this is not your first language.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Really? You'd take that kind of effort to correct grammatical errors and polish up language when you could be directing it at the forum and its discussions?

I understand you guys would like to do it, but this whole nit picking/perfection striving thing is really annoying.

Fuck the syntax of things. If we get your message, then the communication has been effective.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    People need to stop spelling you as "yeu" (or however they spell it).
    Some of us saw the original person spell "you" as "yeu" and we ran with it.
    (As a joke.)

Simulated World asked me something the other day and I typed:
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeu.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Its easier to understand English when it is written correctly.

This post is directed at one with soul not Jag

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think its a great idea Santtu. It is important to see where you're going wrong and to learn from it. Its the only way to learn a language. And its usually not a good idea to make corrections in the other threads because it would be a distraction and its hard to know when the help is wanted.

My Brazillian friend used to go around saying 'for to' all the time. For example, "I'm going for to clean the kitchen". Someone bossy and tactless told him it was wrong and my friend complained that we never corrected him. Really we hadn't had the heart to do so. Besides his mistakes are really endearing

I have a question for people whose first language is not English.

When you write in English do you have a feeling that you are not showing yourself for what you actually are? (something like puting a mask on)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have a question for people whose first language is not English.

When you write in English do you have a feeling that you are not showing yourself for what you actually are? (something like puting a mask on)
    Definitely - about the not showing myself as what I actually am. Although I wouldn't use the mask analogy, since it's not something that I consciously do in order to project a different persona. It's just that the terminology is so completely different that it's impossible for me to use the language in exactly the same way as I do for Italian.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu, Edited by Athenian200 View Post
    In an attempt to improve our skills in English and make it easier to communicate on the forum in the future, I'll suggest the following format:

Submit texts you want checked for grammar and the style of writing. Others who want to help you get rid of annoying spelling errors, grammatical errors and such, will correct the texts.

Once the errors are pointed out, it's easier to work on improving them. It's hard to work on improving one's language, when the only kind of feedback you get is "learn to write, lol."

I don't write too well, so I should probably abstain from attempting to correct anything.

I don't want this to become a place for people to find people to do their homework for them, so I'd suggest you avoid correcting texts that look like someone's homework, unless that's what you specifically want to do.
    There's my version. But to be honest, your original is better than what I've seen many native speakers come up with. Our language is very complicated.

We actually have disagreements about what constitutes the "correct" style from time to time. While the masses use Internet slang and txtspeak, and wouldn't notice anything wrong in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    There's my version. But to be honest, your original is better than what I've seen many native speakers come up with. Our language is very complicated.

We actually have disagreements about what constitutes the "correct" style from time to time. While the masses use Internet slang and txtspeak, and wouldn't notice anything wrong in the first place.
    No offense Athenian but technically speaking English in one of the most simple languages there is. (as far as I know)

Actually this is one of the reasons why entire world managed to learn it so quickly and fairly well at the same time.