User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Good Riddance

Default Good Riddance

What does it mean to be good at something?

Here are some definitions of good...
    adept: having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude; "adept in handicrafts"; "an adept juggler"; "an expert job"; "a good mechanic"; "a practiced marksman"; "a proficient engineer"; "a lesser-known but no less skillful composer"; "the effect was achieved by skillful retouching"

then adept
    ace: someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field
    having or showing knowledge and skill and aptitude; "adept in handicrafts"; "an adept juggler"; "an expert job"; "a good mechanic"

So good is the subjective viewpoint of the observer?

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    So good is the subjective viewpoint of the observer?
    I'd say that it depends, because what "being skilled" means is different from profession to profession.
    You can evaluate the skills of a mathematician by looking at how fast he can correctly solve a mathematical problem. If his speed is higher than average, then he is "good." That's what I'd call objective.
    On the other hand, the skills of a chef can't really be objectively evaluated, as the quality of his work depends on the subjective tastes of the people who eat it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

If one person can calculate complex problems slowly, and the other can calculate simple equations quickly, which one is good?

I never know what's good is as there's always someone better or worse than me.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    If one person can calculate complex problems slowly, and the other can calculate simple equations quickly, which one is good?

I never know what good is as there's always someone better or worse than me.
    That's how I see it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

You're only as good as who or what standard of proficiency you are up against.

I'm stranded on an island with a violin. I'm the best violin player because I have no one to measure my skill against.

I'm stranded on an island with a violin and the first chair violinist in the New York Philharmonic. I now become the second best violin player.

Comparison regulates aptitude. It is only because we have seen differing levels of proficiency that we "see" the missing links between genius and mundane.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    You're only as good as who or what standard of proficiency you are up against.

I'm stranded on an island with a violin. I'm the best violin player because I have no one to measure my skill against.

I'm stranded on an island with a violin and the first chair violinist in the New York Philharmonic. I now become the second best violin player.

Comparison regulates aptitude. It is only because we have seen differing levels of proficiency that we "see" the missing links between genius and mundane.
    Holy Mother of God, I love this post.
    Especially the bolded!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

AH!
    But sometimes genius is evil and mundane is good.
    The critic's world is a sad one.

Ama et fac ut vis!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by McRumi View Post
    AH!
    But sometimes genius is evil and mundane is good.
    The critic's world is a sad one.

Ama et fac ut vis!
    True.

I was describing good in terms of skill rather than the philosophical definition(s) of "good."

Oh man. That's a whole other can of worms!
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

This is an old thread. I'd forgotten about it. I meant it in terms of skill and skilfulness. MDP's post is right on the money.

I was reflecting on skilfulness and your own subjective interpretation of your own relative position. And how that affects your intrinsic motivation when I started the thread.

There is an old Seth Godin post where he talks about being the best in the world and what that means. He basically said what MDP said. It is relative to what is available and to what is known.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    So even if all you did was strum the strings like a Ukelele you'd still be "good" at playing the violin?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations