User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you tend to be more sure or unsure when communicating?

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    But I thought you were an Extravert, and that extraverts didn't have trouble dealing with noisy crowds. I always assumed that was what made them extraverts?
    i think she meant public speaking where everyone is listening to her, and not one of many conversations.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array girlnamedbless's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    i think she meant public speaking where everyone is listening to her, and not one of many conversations.
    Yes, exactly.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

Depends. Most of the time I sound less sure than I am, but that's because I have a short attention span for people who don't answer quickly, and in the time I'm waiting, I forget what I asked them in the first place. It often happens when I phone someone that in the time I'm waiting for them to pick up the phone, I've been through dozens of other thoughts on totally different subjects in my head, so that when they pick up I'm like "Um, yeah? What?" and they're like, "Dude, you rang me! What do you want?" and I'm like, "Oh, yeah, um... " and then I have to try and walk myself back through the processes that I went through that prompted me to phone them. They're thinking I'm a total airhead, but once I hit on it (takes about 30 seconds), I'm back in the zone again and I'm way more on the ball that they think.

But at other times, when I sound sure, I'm really not. I'm never 100% sure of anything really, so it's a real act when I do my J impersonation and I kinda hope nobody will call me on it. Often I sound like I know what I'm talking about when in fact, 90% of what I say is totally improvised. It might be improvised around subjects I do actually know about, but I'm still not exactly cherry picking. Just grasping at random things that stand out and fitting them together somehow to sound like a premeditated theory.

But even when I'm not sure of what I'm saying or of what I know, I am always pretty damn sure of what my intentions are; my objectives. And all the time I'm on the lookout for any point of leverage I can get, and pressing it home with whatever 'lever' will fit, even if it's a total bluff.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I tend to feel rather unsure of what I say, meaning that I feel like anything I say is open to be questioned, but others say I tend to be perceived as extremely secure.
    You must have an authoritative voice.

My level of assuredness is the same whether in speaking to others or not. If I do not know the absolute answer to a question, I mention the alternatives, and explain the likelihood of those happening.

I'm reading this thread again and it seems it's not a matter if I know something or I don't. It's a matter of perception.

Ironically, I'm not entirely sure of the question, but if you're asking if I come across as being authoritative, I do.

Senior Member Array OctaviaCaesar's Avatar

Oh gosh--unless I have written and rehearsed what I am going to say, and further edited it half a dozen times, I feel hoplessly inadequate at communicating.
    I even write down my telephone calls before I make them...